2016 3.5 Eco and Sloppy Transmission - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2016 3.5 Eco and Sloppy Transmission

Old 05-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #1

Default 2016 3.5 Eco and Sloppy Transmission

I have 2016 XLT Screw 3.5 Eco that I bought CPO with about 17k on the clock. The first few weeks the truck was a dream. Ran great and the transmission shifted up and down well and firm. After a couple weeks though the I feel like the transmission became really sloppy. Kind of clunky when lifting off the throttle and also when re-engaging throttle in OD on the highway. Almost felt like a bad UJoint or the torque converter having issues. Took it to the dealer who I trust and had them check out the driveline and TQ Converter and anything else they though might be culprit. Nothing. I had a suspicion, and my service tech agreed, that the adaptive trans might not like the way I drive after learning the previous owner's habits so I had them reflash the trans and voila, it ran great again. Shifted firmly and crisply and held gears where it needed, no slop. That was short lived though. All the slop came back again after about three days.

My previous '07 Screw with the 5.4 and 4 speed tranny shifted better than this thing and I got 308k miles out of her with no complaints from the trans at all. I drive a LOT of highway miles so the truck spends a fair amount time at about 75 on Cruise Control.

So my questions are;

What gives?
Do I drive like an idiot?
Is there something I should be doing differently (driving style-wise) with this turbo engine over the V8?
Will getting an aftermarket tune like the Livernois help this or will it just exacerbate the problem?
Is it possible the dealer missed something I should look into?

Any help would greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss. If this can't be remedied I may have to get a different truck.
travesty is offline   Reply With Quote