Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2015 Factory LED Headlight Issues

Old 06-11-2019, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Factory LED Headlight Issues

While this should be such a simple diagnosis/question, I'm forced to ask about it. lol ---- 2015 King Ranch F150, factory LED headlights.

The other night I noticed my driver side headlight was flashing while I was driving, upon further inspection I believe it was my high beam turning on and off (I did not have the high beams on).

Then over the next couple days I noticed that my driver side high beam was always on, again without me having them turned on.

When I parked tonight and looked at the headlights my driver side was completely off, high and low beam. Keep in mind that this entire time the amber brow as continued to work.
I took the wheel well liner partly off and peeled it back to get a hand up there to the lights. The connector was in there solid, nothing "felt wrong". I haven't taken the entire housing out yet because I'd like to get an idea of what needs to be done before I pull it all apart. I'd like to only do it once.

If just the high beam, or just the low beam went out that would be easier to understand. But neither the high or the low is coming on. (I believe once I start driving it will come back on, with bumps)
It makes sense that something has to be loose somewhere, but why it would turn the high beam on I don't get. Things aren't as simple on these newer trucks, I can't just remove the plug and bulb to take a look at what's going on.. Searching and Googling only brings up things about retrofit kits.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

-Cole
Old 07-19-2020, 10:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CoDeCo
While this should be such a simple diagnosis/question, I'm forced to ask about it. lol ---- 2015 King Ranch F150, factory LED headlights.

The other night I noticed my driver side headlight was flashing while I was driving, upon further inspection I believe it was my high beam turning on and off (I did not have the high beams on).

Then over the next couple days I noticed that my driver side high beam was always on, again without me having them turned on.

When I parked tonight and looked at the headlights my driver side was completely off, high and low beam. Keep in mind that this entire time the amber brow as continued to work.
I took the wheel well liner partly off and peeled it back to get a hand up there to the lights. The connector was in there solid, nothing "felt wrong". I haven't taken the entire housing out yet because I'd like to get an idea of what needs to be done before I pull it all apart. I'd like to only do it once.

If just the high beam, or just the low beam went out that would be easier to understand. But neither the high or the low is coming on. (I believe once I start driving it will come back on, with bumps)
It makes sense that something has to be loose somewhere, but why it would turn the high beam on I don't get. Things aren't as simple on these newer trucks, I can't just remove the plug and bulb to take a look at what's going on.. Searching and Googling only brings up things about retrofit kits.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

-Cole
Cole, I’m wondering if you figured this out. I did not notice flashing but have similar symptom on passenger side. Amber ring works, but hi/low are out. Apparently our ‘15s have the replaceable LED lamp modules but later trucks have fully sealed assemblies.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by FireSauce
Cole, I’m wondering if you figured this out. I did not notice flashing but have similar symptom on passenger side. Amber ring works, but hi/low are out. Apparently our ‘15s have the replaceable LED lamp modules but later trucks have fully sealed assemblies.
My amber ring and blinker still worked too. The led control module is what needed to be replaced on mine. That fixed everything. However, moisture is what killed my original one and I still have moisture getting in so there’s a portion of the headlight somewhere that isn’t sealed. That moisture getting in has now killed my new module too. High/low won’t come on but the amber ring and the blinker works.

The module sits on the bottom of the head light, so any moisture that gets in runs straight down onto the circuit board.. not the best design IMO.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CoDeCo
My amber ring and blinker still worked too. The led control module is what needed to be replaced on mine. That fixed everything. However, moisture is what killed my original one and I still have moisture getting in so there’s a portion of the headlight somewhere that isn’t sealed. That moisture getting in has now killed my new module too. High/low won’t come on but the amber ring and the blinker works.

The module sits on the bottom of the head light, so any moisture that gets in runs straight down onto the circuit board.. not the best design IMO.
Thanks for the info. If you decide to go with a new assembly you can get one for 500 if you’re okay with a broken tab or two. Car-part.com, find a junkyard near you. I may look into that route if I have damage

Edit: After some thought, I am guessing this issue is why they went with the sealed unit after 2015. If that’s the case I wonder if getting a 2016 replacement is the way to go. I assume they are interchangeable.

Second edit: Okay wait, is the LED control module the same as the ballast? I’m away from my manual at the moment but am trying to do some research on this. If so, I believe all the LED headlights still use the same layout, with this below the light.

Last edited by FireSauce; 07-20-2020 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by FireSauce
Thanks for the info. If you decide to go with a new assembly you can get one for 500 if you’re okay with a broken tab or two. Car-part.com, find a junkyard near you. I may look into that route if I have damage

Edit: After some thought, I am guessing this issue is why they went with the sealed unit after 2015. If that’s the case I wonder if getting a 2016 replacement is the way to go. I assume they are interchangeable.

Second edit: Okay wait, is the LED control module the same as the ballast? I’m away from my manual at the moment but am trying to do some research on this. If so, I believe all the LED headlights still use the same layout, with this below the light.
Yeah the control module is the ballast, at the bottom of the light. Not a bad idea to replace with a ‘16 if those are sealed and are direct replacements! I may look into that when I redo mine (again..) before I have to get inspected. LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Factory LED Headlight Issues