Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2015 F-150 Steering Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Default 2015 F-150 Steering Vibration

Ford service is stumped (useless) to this point....

When the steering wheel is turned slightly I get a vibration that comes
through the steering wheel that feels very much like an out of balance tire(s).

It is not constant and it vibrates in a series of threes with about .25 of a second in between the vibrations. Ford service started by balancing the tires, that wasn't it. Then changed all 4 tires and rims. That didn't do it and has ruled out a tire or rim problem. Now they're stumped.

The vibration is incredibly annoying..... happens when the wheel is turned slightly, series of three vibrations that last about 1.5 seconds separated by .25 of a second in be between series of vibrations. Seems to slowly be getting worse.

Didn't notice it until approx. 2,000 miles on truck.

HELP PLEASE!!!
Old 09-11-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive
Ford service is stumped (useless) to this point....

When the steering wheel is turned slightly I get a vibration that comes
through the steering wheel that feels very much like an out of balance tire(s).

It is not constant and it vibrates in a series of threes with about .25 of a second in between the vibrations. Ford service started by balancing the tires, that wasn't it. Then changed all 4 tires and rims. That didn't do it and has ruled out a tire or rim problem. Now they're stumped.

The vibration is incredibly annoying..... happens when the wheel is turned slightly, series of three vibrations that last about 1.5 seconds separated by .25 of a second in be between series of vibrations. Seems to slowly be getting worse.

Didn't notice it until approx. 2,000 miles on truck.

HELP PLEASE!!!
What model is your truck? Does it have a lane departure warning system?

I only ask because I was in a loaner Platinum that had the LDWS and mistakenly thought is was a steering issue.

The system monitors your position within a lane and warns you through a series of three pulses of vibration through the steering wheel if you wander out of your lane. It does not occur if you use your turn signals prior to lane switching.
The following users liked this post:
idrive (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Gone Golfin

Thanks for responding.

2015 and yes it has the LDWS however you must manually activate it if you want it to function. Interestingly I have yet to activate the system. After reading this and taking the truck down the road and back this is not what is causing the vibration unless somehow the system is activating and defective both.

I'm going to "play" with this idea more but I would have to say this is not what's causing it but the vibration could be from the system if that is how it works. Just sending the vibration warning randomly.

I thought the Ford Service folks monitored this section.......................
Old 09-23-2015, 10:10 PM
Gone Golfin

Originally Posted by idrive
Thanks for responding.

2015 and yes it has the LDWS however you must manually activate it if you want it to function. Interestingly I have yet to activate the system. After reading this and taking the truck down the road and back this is not what is causing the vibration unless somehow the system is activating and defective both.

I'm going to "play" with this idea more but I would have to say this is not what's causing it but the vibration could be from the system if that is how it works. Just sending the vibration warning randomly.

I thought the Ford Service folks monitored this section.......................
Just as an update.

It is/was indeed the LDW system. Seems the activation switch was
defective and the system was always activated.

Switch replaced, problem solved.

What still bothers me is the service department didn't figure it out without
my help which came from this forum.
The following users liked this post:
krello (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for sharing this. Good information to have. It is curious that Ford couldn't solve this problem quicker

Quick Reply: 2015 F-150 Steering Vibration