Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2015 4wd is being dumb

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 08:57 AM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2015 4wd is being dumb

2015 F150 XLT SCREW

Some context here, I bought my truck used with ~71.5k miles on it and at the time the 4wd seemed to engage fine and didn't put up much of a fuss so I didn't think too much of it. After a short road trip I was getting some intermittent buzzing, but since it wasn't frequent and I could pin down what it was I let it go. Finally this weekend I got the nice sound of some stuff breaking after I popped it into 4wd and got all kinds of noise from the front on the drive home. Turned out my vacuum check valve was 100% toast ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so I pulled apart the front end, the IWE actuators were both shot and it was so bad that they had worn the gears on the hubs pretty bad too. So I ended up replacing the following:
  • 2 new front hubs from Ford
  • New vacuum check valve
  • 2 new IWE actuators
After all of that all seemed good, but I got some odd behavior and that's what I'm curious about: At startup the IWE solenoid provides vacuum to the IWE actuators no problem, put it into 4wd and it stops supplying vacuum, put it back into 2wd and it still isn't supplying vacuum. If you restart the truck it does the same exact thing, I even picked up a spare solenoid and it showed the same exact behavior.

Since the truck is can bus I pulled the battery for 30 minutes and now the solenoid appears to be working, although I'm concerned the problem could come back. Any advice on other things to check? I think the solenoid grounds through the 4wd module, but I'm not sure how to verify that is working...
Old 05-29-2019, 04:09 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I just did away with these stupid actuators all together. 60k miles no issues other than a drop in .8 MPG. https://www.rcvperformance.com/rcv-u...150-04-up.html
Old 05-29-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan.white
I just did away with these stupid actuators all together. 60k miles no issues other than a drop in .8 MPG. https://www.rcvperformance.com/rcv-u...150-04-up.html
I'm pretty much at that point, I'm planning on running my "fixed" system and if it fails again I'm going to convert over. I would love some manually locking hubs...
Old 05-29-2019, 05:21 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Manual hubs would be so nice!
Old 05-29-2019, 06:37 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Originally Posted by slomaro34
2015 F150 XLT SCREW
After all of that all seemed good, but I got some odd behavior and that's what I'm curious about: At startup the IWE solenoid provides vacuum to the IWE actuators no problem, put it into 4wd and it stops supplying vacuum, put it back into 2wd and it still isn't supplying vacuum. If you restart the truck it does the same exact thing, I even picked up a spare solenoid and it showed the same exact behavior.

Since the truck is can bus I pulled the battery for 30 minutes and now the solenoid appears to be working, although I'm concerned the problem could come back. Any advice on other things to check? I think the solenoid grounds through the 4wd module, but I'm not sure how to verify that is working...
So after you did the KAM reset, everything is working right?
You're correct, solenoid is grounded back to the TCCM, transfer case control module.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by johnday
So after you did the KAM reset, everything is working right?
You're correct, solenoid is grounded back to the TCCM, transfer case control module.
Correct everything now appears to be working, just a fear that it'll stop in an inopportune time again.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Village Sociopath

There are some things that are reset, for lack of a better term, by doing the KAM thing. I've cured trans shifting issues in my own truck. Never know what might be cured.
I'm from Monroe, yourself?
Old 05-29-2019, 08:37 PM

I figured that might be the case, I'm just not a fan of the turn it off and back off again fix. I'm down in Plymouth, at least for now haha
Old 05-29-2019, 09:11 PM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by slomaro34
I figured that might be the case, I'm just not a fan of the turn it off and back off again fix. I'm down in Plymouth, at least for now haha
Sometimes that fixes the problem, but not a guarantee. If you keep having trouble, that TCCM could be going on ya.
Small world, my wife lives down in Garbage City. More appropriate than "Garden".

Quick Reply: 2015 4wd is being dumb