Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2013 V8 - Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 V8 - Coolant leak

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced this - did search for it but didn't fine anyone that had found the oring. The thermostat housing is leaking at the T connector on one of the quick connectors (the one that comes from the radiator). I saw someone else's post on a different forum saying the oring had collapsed. I haven't removed the housing as I haven't had time but it's a constant drip and my reservoir is empty (not driving the truck).

Has anyone see this? Did you have to buy a whole new housing? If you found the oring, could you point me to it?

It's a 2013 XTL 4x4 with 68K on it. Love the truck

Last edited by Skyler76; 12-04-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:22 PM

FYI, I found this at my ford dealer.

Part number is RTS-1073-BC3Z-8590-F just in case anyone has the same problem (which I gather is quite common).
Old 12-14-2016, 07:47 PM

Just fixed my problem today. Both seals/O rings off the upper rad hose an the T connector leaked at 94k. Couldn't just get the seals an rings here in saskatchewan so had to buy a new upper rad hose and the T connector plus I changed the o ring on the thermostat housing . Had to pull the thermostat housing off the pump to get the T off just not enough room to pull it off. The new parts have totally different O rings an seals then factory . Took some pictures of the old parts
Old 12-14-2016, 07:49 PM

New parts
Old 12-14-2016, 07:53 PM

Old parts . 2 different size O rings

Flat O rings in old parts. Leak started from O ring an made is way in behind the plastic ring .
Old 01-12-2017, 06:49 PM

Hey there, thanks for your thread. It helped me out with my (well the wife's) '13 F150, 5.0.

I found a pool of coolant under it yesterday. After removing the the air intake hose (and finding the air filter needed replacing) my leak was coming from the T fitting where it connects to the thermostat housing. The o-ring had failed.

I would have just replaced the o-ring but only the upper rad hose QD o-ring was available. It is obviously a larger diameter than the QD on the T fitting. I figured it would just be a matter of time and the rad hose would need a new o-ring so I decided to replace that one as well as the T fitting. I am sure that if you wanted to you could replace the o-ring in the fitting. It would just be a matter of finding the right size.

The T was $105 Cdn and the o-ring $9.99... the dealer stocked both.

I took a cheap plastic (flexible) funnel and jammed it under the drain on the radiator and aimed it at the drain pan just inside and in front of the tire. Worked great, caught almost all the coolant. I pulled the two clips out on the QDs and removed the upper rad hose from the T fitting. I had to pry the QD off of the thermostat housing, it is a bit tight as you found as well. I slid the spring clamp from the intake manifold down the rubber hose and pulled and twisted until the T fitting came off. I didn't remove the thermostat housing. I then replaced the o-ring in the upper rad hose, made sure the fittings were all nice and clean. The o-ring had flattened out and eventually it would have failed. I lubed the hose on the new T fitting where it attaches to the intake with silicone spray and twisted it on until I could click the QD on the thermostat housing. Popped the new spring clamp that came with the T fitting, snapped the upper rad hose on and filled up the coolant.

It probably took me 2 hours to do the repair and with the cost of the antifreeze (premix) and air filter I think I spent $160-$170.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:20 AM

Glad to hear. Given my location I was limited to few options on parts so I had to spend the money. I was gonna try an pry the T fitting off but it was like -40 and I didn't want the plastic to break on me . Otherwise it is a very easy problem to fix, if you have tools an common sense lol. I used a chunk of old garden hose just slipped over the drain line from the rad an drained into a few pails .
Old 02-05-2017, 05:49 PM

Just had the same problem with my 2013 F 150 XLT , 67000 mi found overflow tank empty and puddle under the truck . I read all the post on o rings and 400.00 cost to go the Ford Dealer . I picked up a new o ring for 6.00 at a local Ford Dealer and it took all of 30 minutes to complete the process start to finish. Pulled of he upper hose and replaced to o ring , No leaks and topped off the Fluid. One tip would be to have a clean rag to stop fluid from coming out while doing the repair.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had my upper hose and T-Connector replaced at dealer - not a ESP covered item. I was told by the adviser that there wasn't a seal to replace. Costed me $320😒
Old 02-09-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All of the orings for the system are available here:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/astnoes/m.h...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by 2011 f150 5.0L; 02-09-2018 at 03:18 PM.