Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 FX4 5.0 Overheating Issue

Old 03-18-2019, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 FX4 5.0 Overheating Issue

Recently had a water pump failure, so I replaced the water pump, thermostat and changed all of the belts while I was at it. Iím now having an issue where the truck temp is running around 230 degrees. It only gets this hot while driving at highway speeds. It stays around 190-200 when sitting at idle or driving slow. High speed fan kicks on at about 228 degrees. If I donít run the heater while driving, the engine temp will go even higher. No issues with cold air blowing out of the heater vents which would indicate possible air in the cooling system. I have noticed that I can get the temp to briefly lower by increasing the rpms when driving. Iím assuming the RPM increase is causing the water pump to circulate better. Coolant levels are all fine and I am not losing any coolant. I have put two separate aftermarket thermostats on but still having the issue. I have an OEM thermostat ordered because I read some people have had issues with the aftermarket thermostats in these trucks. Iím at a loss if replacing with an OEM thermostat doesnít fix the problem. It just really seems like the coolant is circulating enough to keep the engine cool. Anyone have any ideas on what else might be causing this issue?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Solved

Originally Posted by wilsonc001 View Post
Recently had a water pump failure, so I replaced the water pump, thermostat and changed all of the belts while I was at it. Iím now having an issue where the truck temp is running around 230 degrees. It only gets this hot while driving at highway speeds. It stays around 190-200 when sitting at idle or driving slow. High speed fan kicks on at about 228 degrees. If I donít run the heater while driving, the engine temp will go even higher. No issues with cold air blowing out of the heater vents which would indicate possible air in the cooling system. I have noticed that I can get the temp to briefly lower by increasing the rpms when driving. Iím assuming the RPM increase is causing the water pump to circulate better. Coolant levels are all fine and I am not losing any coolant. I have put two separate aftermarket thermostats on but still having the issue. I have an OEM thermostat ordered because I read some people have had issues with the aftermarket thermostats in these trucks. Iím at a loss if replacing with an OEM thermostat doesnít fix the problem. It just really seems like the coolant is circulating enough to keep the engine cool. Anyone have any ideas on what else might be causing this issue?
The issue was as I suspected. Both aftermarket thermostats (Autozone & Oíreilly) were garbage. I put an OEM thermostat on and the problem is resolved. Never again will I buy an aftermarket thermostat.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:40 PM

Received 223 Likes on 191 Posts

Good deal, thanks for the update.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 FX4 5.0 Overheating Issue

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: