Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2013 f150 tickng

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 2013 f150 tickng

about 800 miles on my lift and my wife tells me she hears a sound. I had never heard it because it is so soft. I have to be driving next to something like a wall to hear it.

It is almost like a card in bike spokes sound. The sound doesn't increase with speed in the way a rock in the tires does, but it does increase with speed in the way that wind does. The frequency increases as you speed up. I have had the wheel off all the way to the knuckle and can find nothing loose. No cables, lines, bolts, nuts etc. I do off-road and cleaned out a bit of dirt/grass behind there (and even from in the voids of the brake pads), but no change.

Today it rained (might be the moisture issue), but I looked under it and can't see anything. I checked the driver's side (no noise) and I did notice the end of the axle had very minimal play (where it goes into the knuckle) and is dry and cool.

On the Passenger side (where the noise is) I noticed some moisture around the end of the axle, no play whatsoever and it was not hot, but was very warm. Again, the driver's side was as cool as the air around. I had just drove about 30 miles at this point and have not had the 4x4 engaged in any way. I have attached a pic of the moisture I am talking about.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for the help. I found the culprit. Tore off the steering knuckle and axle and all looked great and were torqued fine. After I put it all back together I noticed the hose for the traction control was loose on the undercarriage. This must have happened during the lift when I had to relocate cables. I clipped it back into its clip and all is better now. No more ticking.

Quick Reply: 2013 f150 tickng