Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2012 f150 Platinum Ecoboost Problems. Help Please

Old 04-09-2013, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2012 f150 Platinum Ecoboost Problems. Help Please

Sorry for the length of this but wanted to state exact problems and the situation to give more of an idea to someone that might know the problems.

I recently purchased a 2012 Platinum 3.5L ecoboost supercrew 4x4 with 3.55 axle ratio with 9,200 miles on it directly from a dealership and currently have about 12,000 miles on it and am already having issues come up. To start I treat this truck very gentile for the most part but I do drive on the interstate going about 80mph often but haven't ragged it or abused it in anyway. I have a 3 problems I would like input on. I haven't taken it back to the dealership or even called yet bc I want to be knowledgeable of the issues and reasons myself before taking it in.

1.) My girlfriend had a wreck while it was raining last week and called me as I was driving so I immediately turned the traction control off by holding for over 5sec and made a U turn to get to where she was. I turned right on a redlight and put my foot to the floor and somewhere around 20 to 30mph the transmission light cut on and the truck was not responding to any more acceleration. It stayed the same speed even though it was to the floor so I let off and it coasted slowing down and the light cut off. I then accelerated not so aggressively and had no further problems. Concern is what if I was passing someone in the other lane and it did this again.

2.) Second I have gone through absolutely no mud or and terrain requiring 4wd use hardly at all. And as I was pulling a trailer loaded with a 4wheeler into our side yard as it had recently rained the other day I stopped put the truck in N and switched to 4High not wanting to make ruts. The truck message center read delayed shifting so after it cleared I put the truck into drive and started to go forward and there was an awful sound from the front differential I am guessing sounding like grinding gears so I put it back in neutral and swapped to 2wd and then repeated the steps to 4wd it made the sound again put stopped as after I went 5 feet or so. After unloading the trailer and getting back on the road I swapped back to 2wd and as pulling off it repeated sound and then quite after a another 5 feet or so. since I haven't used 4wd.

3.) Lastly as pulling off the paved road onto farm turn road the other day I was going probably about 10mph and there was a VERY small dip in the dirt road and as my back passenger tire dip down passing through it I heard a very loud "pop" or "clank" sound sounding like metal on metal. It was definitely not bottoming out as stated the small hole was probably only 6 inches deep but fairly good size from length and width. After which there was nothing indicating a problem. No further sounds and was driving completely normal even on the hwy. This may very well be nothing but thought someone might have something to say about this.

Very thankful for any input or knowledge you have to give me!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a very similar truck, 2011 model, and with 3.73 rear. The 4x4 does NOT need to go into N to shift to 4x4 high, only low. Mine has a small "bang" when I shift it in a times, but nothing not expected. Try it in gear, while moving. I think it can be turned on at highway speeds. It only needs to be in N to shift to 4x4 low.

Your acceleration question, no idea, never had it do that, but then again I never jump on mine. I know it has a lot of "brains" it does what it feels is the safest thing, and if you were going to spin out, it would take over.

No thoughts on your metal and metal noise. Mine turned over 39,000 today at 17 months old, I got it brand new. I can't say anything bad about this truck, the engine gets better mileage with summer blend gas. I just pulled 4 tons of fertilizer across the PA turnpike yesterday at 12.4 MPG. It would pick up speed at the top of a hill already going 65 if I wanted it too.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check for a service bulletin for a updated inter cooler (cac). Goes by serial number. Early ones would condense water internally and under a heavy foot, can pull water into the engine, engine miss, no performance, scary if passing etc. No more problems after I got the new cac.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:38 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I can't help with any of your issues but I am curious as to why you turned traction control off in the rain and during a right turn you floored it?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by F150Traveler
I have a very similar truck, 2011 model, and with 3.73 rear. The 4x4 does NOT need to go into N to shift to 4x4 high, only low. Mine has a small "bang" when I shift it in a times, but nothing not expected. Try it in gear, while moving. I think it can be turned on at highway speeds. It only needs to be in N to shift to 4x4 low.

Your acceleration question, no idea, never had it do that, but then again I never jump on mine. I know it has a lot of "brains" it does what it feels is the safest thing, and if you were going to spin out, it would take over.

No thoughts on your metal and metal noise. Mine turned over 39,000 today at 17 months old, I got it brand new. I can't say anything bad about this truck, the engine gets better mileage with summer blend gas. I just pulled 4 tons of fertilizer across the PA turnpike yesterday at 12.4 MPG. It would pick up speed at the top of a hill already going 65 if I wanted it too.

Good luck.
Yeah I knew the 4wd was "on the fly" but I thought putting it in N would be better but I guess it really doesn't matter. Thank you for your thoughts!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by lanewagoner
Check for a service bulletin for a updated inter cooler (cac). Goes by serial number. Early ones would condense water internally and under a heavy foot, can pull water into the engine, engine miss, no performance, scary if passing etc. No more problems after I got the new cac.
Thanks man!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sitedrifter
I can't help with any of your issues but I am curious as to why you turned traction control off in the rain and during a right turn you floored it?
As stated my girlfriend was in a wreck and I was 30min away. I turned traction control off bc it was raining and I was driving like a bat out of hell to get to her and didn't want the truck to interfere while I was sliding around turns in town. Why I floored it?? Some you love could be dying.. Why would you not???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 f150 Platinum Ecoboost Problems. Help Please