Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2012 ecoboost loud ticking*****

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 ecoboost loud ticking*****

My 2012 ecoboost started making a loud ticking noise at around 27,000 km. When you accelerate/give it gas the ticking speeds up, it can be heard outside the truck hood up and down, and also inside the cab, I brought it to the dealer and they couldn't pin point what it was just by listening they said they would have to take the motor out which I am trying to avoid. Can anyone help me out here??

Thanks
Kory
Old 09-30-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I would take it back to the dealer right away. You may have one of the very few EB motors that is defective (about 1.5% of all EB's sold, according to NTSB) Under warranty they will replace the entire motor if necessary. This forum has a Ford rep. that can help you if don't get satisfaction from the dealer.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 AM

I took it to the dealer, they said they would have to check a few things to find out what it is because they aren't sure and that they would have to take the motor out, and I don't have warranty that's why I'm trying to find out what may be wrong in hopes of fixing it. It's loud on the driver side of the engine and you can hear it under the driver side front wheel well good. It's driving me insane lol such a hard noise
Old 09-30-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What happened to the warranty Or is it modded
Old 09-30-2013, 12:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kwaterman
I took it to the dealer, they said they would have to check a few things to find out what it is because they aren't sure and that they would have to take the motor out, and I don't have warranty that's why I'm trying to find out what may be wrong in hopes of fixing it. It's loud on the driver side of the engine and you can hear it under the driver side front wheel well good. It's driving me insane lol such a hard noise
Just a thought bit you could have a cracked or warped manifol or even small exhaust leak which will bring out the tick really loud. As they do tick naturally after broken in so thats why I'm thinking a leak would make it tick louder.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Savage07
Just a thought bit you could have a cracked or warped manifol or even small exhaust leak which will bring out the tick really loud. As they do tick naturally after broken in so thats why I'm thinking a leak would make it tick louder.
It almost sounds like the timing chain could be stretched or loose, I'm not for certain though, I'll be checking the manifold though
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 PM
F150 Forum

Received 235 Likes on 210 Posts

Do you see any blue smoke coming out the tailpipe?

The HP Fuel Pump and Direct Injection do tick normally, but it could be something more.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by TAP Auto
Do you see any blue smoke coming out the tailpipe? The HP Fuel Pump and Direct Injection do tick normally, but it could be something more.
No blue smoke, I know the sound of the normal tick, this is highly escalated and it speeds up as you accelerate/give it gas. Any other ideas on what it could be? I don't want this to cost me loot, I'll get a video of it tomorrow and post it here
Old 10-01-2013, 07:09 AM

: outside hood down

: inside cab

: inside cab driving

Here is what it sounds like, let me know what you think please

Thanks
Kory
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I only hear it on the first clip. Is it louder when the under load?

Sounds like an exhaust leak but I don't know the EB engines.

Quick Reply: 2012 ecoboost loud ticking*****