Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2011 5.0 Loss of power on hard accel

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 5.0 Loss of power on hard accel

Alright, new to the forums, but have to be honest and say that a lot of you have helped my through the years with posts that have guided me in the right direction (especially with the damn IWE debacle of 2010..)

Newest issue: Truck will shift/perform fine under "normal" (Grandma) driving conditions. Downshifts fine on the highway when passing, no issue. BUT, on hard acceleration seems to fall on its face after hitting about 3-3500 RPM. I am hoping to rule out transmission issue as fluid is at the right level, looks fairly clean for the mileage (not yellow, brown or black). Also truck does not over-rev when this is happening, just the opposite. The best way I can describe it is it feels like a 2 stroke that won't hit the power-band. It gets right there and then falls flat, almost as if the plugs are fouling out (pardon the descriptions, these are the most accurate way for me to explain them given I grew up on dirt bikes/snowmobiles)

Truck is a 2011 F150 SCrew, 5.0, 137k. This is not an entirely new issue, was acting up slightly, but at higher RPMS earlier this year. At that time I did a full plug swap and put in a K&N filter, and it seemed to help a little.

Please help!

Converters?
Injectors?
TPS?

I'm spinning and the internet isn't helping. There are about 20 things I've seen/read/watched which COULD fit my symptoms. As I said above, already checked the fluid last night...seems fine. This morning trans was running about 180 on the way to work (all highway, 80 MPH for 30 miles)

Any and all help is appreciated. Not rich though, so anything I can rule out before heading to the Stealership would be ideal.....
Old 12-19-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

~ Is the throttle body gummed up?
~ Is your air filter clean, sounds like its starving for fuel or air?
Old 12-20-2018, 01:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcoMontana
~ Is the throttle body gummed up?
~ Is your air filter clean, sounds like its starving for fuel or air?
That was the direction I was going in. Some questions:

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
Do you have any way to verify fuel pressure?
Are there any codes to pull?
What kind of spark are you seeing at the plugs?

packrat

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Loss of power on hard accel