Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2010 fx4 front diff 4.10 gear swap help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2010 fx4 front diff 4.10 gear swap help!

Hello all! I am having trouble finding any info for my front diff as i am swapping to 4.10s. I know the rear diffs quite well but havent ripped into a front yet. Anyone have a write up on this somewhere? or basically all i need to know is how to get shafts out from carrier then i can get it from there. Is it like the rear after I pull the cvs off then push them in after the bolt in center of carrier comes out? I can pull front cover and dig around but rather have some info going in! Much appreciated guys!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I'm pretty sure your axle shafts are held in with a spring clip. Once you get the outer shafts removed, the inners will pop out with a prybar or slide hammer.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your reply. I found the service manual for it and it called for a transmission pump removal tool to clamp to the splines of the shaft and slide hammer it out.... but f that $200 tool! I pulled the cover off and beat it through from the carrier side. Fyi plan to pull the diff out in order to service it!