2006 groaning noise when turning left - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 groaning noise when turning left

Old 02-07-2019, 12:30 PM

Default 2006 groaning noise when turning left

So a few weeks ago I did some work on my 2WD rear 8.8 non LS differential. Both seals at the wheels were leaking and the truck just hit 200k. I replaced the axle bearings while I was down there since why not, they have a lot of miles on them.

I cleaned up the shaft housing where the seal and bearing ride and got both sides done no problem set with new seals and bearings. Cleaned up the axles and slid them back in.
I drove it around for a day or so and started noticing a groan only at highway speeds turning left. Of course I read up on the problem symptoms and well it sound like in all scenarios, this means a wheel/axle bearing is messed up. In this case it should be the right one since the weight shifts to it when I turn left.

Ok I take out the axle shafts again, inspect both bearings, they look fine and roll fine. Nothing suspicious. Axle housing and diff look clean. I look at the axle shafts themselves and they got some deep grooves from the seals but no real scuffing from the bearing but I also read up that if you throw new bearings in there and this groaning situation occurs, its likely a worn axle shaft rubbing on the new bearings. So I get new axle shafts and throw them in. Same noise.

Anyone have any other clues? I jacked up the front and checked the front bearings to see if they were playing tricks but I have 0 wheel wobble and those bearings have only 50k on them.
Thanks for the help I advance.

Last edited by Rottenapple3111; 02-07-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 groaning noise when turning left

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: