Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2004 F150 Broken Down-PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004 F150 Broken Down-PLEASE HELP

I bought my 2004 F150 5.4L Super crew Lariat the first week of June. At that time it was running great. About two weeks ago it started jumping and fighting during acceleration around 40 MPH. It also sounded like it was bogging down when idling. When I brought this up with the previous owner he said one of the ignition coils was going bad and I had a code for a misfire at the time so I changed that coil. The light went away but the bogging and trouble during acceleration did not. On Sunday I drove from Arkansas to Pensacola, FL. After I got here I went to AutoZone and checked the codes because I had another engine light. The guy at AutoZone told me to check my cam sensors so I did and they were good. The next day I went to work and when I pulled into the parking lot the truck died but luckily I was in a spot. After work I went to leave and the truck started and then died and now it wont start. I had it towed to a mechanic and they said that the Cam Phasors are bad and need changing. They want to charge me 4500 for all of the repairs. My two questions are 1) will this fix my problem, 2) is this price reasonable, 3) What else could this be, and 4) is this job easy enough to do it myself at a hobby shop?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Check your fpdm. It is located under the spare tire in the frame rail. Pull it and check.for corrosion. I betting its raining or been raining down there
..its prone to corrosion and where you live and not knowing what the previous owner put it through the fpdm might have a hole eaten through it. If it been raining moisture could have gotten in there and fried it. Its been known to throw a bunch of different codes. It might be something simple as that. Someone had almost the same issue a few weeks ago.watch them do it if you let them For some reason I feel like they are taking you for a ride for your money. Cam phasers just dont go out like that.

Last edited by alsatropine; 07-18-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by alsatropine
Check your fpdm. It is located under the spare tire in the frame rail. Pull it and check.for corrosion. I betting its raining or been raining down there
..its prone to corrosion and where you live and not knowing what the previous owner put it through the fpdm might have a hole eaten through it. If it been raining moisture could have gotten in there and fried it. Its been known to throw a bunch of different codes. It might be something simple as that. Someone had almost the same issue a few weeks ago.watch them do it if you let them For some reason I feel like they are taking you for a ride for your money. Cam phasers just dont go out like that.
Thanks for that tip. I will check that but what about the cam phaser?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 PM

4500 is steep. You could order all the parts including the timing set and if you have a pretty decent shop and follow the thread on here you night be able to do it yourself. Its not a 4500 job though.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by alsatropine
4500 is steep. You could order all the parts including the timing set and if you have a pretty decent shop and follow the thread on here you night be able to do it yourself. Its not a 4500 job though.
They're saying 2700 for parts and 1400 for labor. What's the link for the thread? that would help a lot.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:03 PM

Check out this link:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...-sound-141266/

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Broken Down-PLEASE HELP