Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2004 5.4 55 to 60mph shudder misfire?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 5.4 55 to 60mph shudder misfire?!?

So yesterday I noticed my 04 5.4 f150 had a slight shudder or what I perceive to be a misfire between 55 and 60mph. This mostly occurs on a incline and I can replicate it 9 out of 10 times by going to 60mph and feathering or relieving pressure on the gas pedal and reapplying it. It will not do it if I keep the RPMs high or drive like a bat out hell but if I baby it (like I like to do) it will happen. I have read every thread I can find on this topic and it seems to happen with lots of year models. I have read multiple diagnosis such as coils and plugs(which I have ordered and is what I'm leaning toward), programming issues, vacuum issues, to higher fuel octane(yea right) being the solution. Does ANYONE know how to find or troubleshoot to find a definitive solution as most of these threads I read are years old. It is not throwing any Check engine light (CEL) or codes on auto zones OBD II scan tool. I have tried to make it misfire a lot as to throw a code and point me to the faulty coil or plug but have no luck in doing so. The truck seems to be running fine other than this annoying AF issue. Also ford had to replace the engine under warranty about a year ago and I have put only 8000 miles on it. One of their brilliant techs didn't bolt down the front passenger side coil pack (I was sure this was the culprit) so I replaced the coil and plug but the problem persist. Any ideas help or comments are Greatly appreciated
Old 06-09-2017, 03:54 PM

Wow I thought this was a common issue
Old 06-10-2017, 10:02 AM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

It's not that common an issue where Ford had to replace the engine (under warranty) on a 2004 model 8000 miles ago. Where did they get that replacement from? Sounds like we need some more info.

Last edited by F150Torqued; 06-10-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:17 PM

my 2006 had the same problem, brought it to the shop after i replaced the coils and nothing changed, the ford shop in my town said that 5 out 8 plugs had to be drilled and the blocked re tapped. also a common issue, after putting new plugs truck ran great, just be careful this generation truck is known to have spark plugs snap because of they designed the motor in a way that lets water get under the coil packs and causes the plugs to seize up
Old 10-16-2022, 09:38 PM

Default Same issue

Hey man I’m experiencing pretty much the same issues, wondering if you were able to solve?

QUOTE=Trevnc1;5346683]So yesterday I noticed my 04 5.4 f150 had a slight shudder or what I perceive to be a misfire between 55 and 60mph. This mostly occurs on a incline and I can replicate it 9 out of 10 times by going to 60mph and feathering or relieving pressure on the gas pedal and reapplying it. It will not do it if I keep the RPMs high or drive like a bat out hell but if I baby it (like I like to do) it will happen. I have read every thread I can find on this topic and it seems to happen with lots of year models. I have read multiple diagnosis such as coils and plugs(which I have ordered and is what I'm leaning toward), programming issues, vacuum issues, to higher fuel octane(yea right) being the solution. Does ANYONE know how to find or troubleshoot to find a definitive solution as most of these threads I read are years old. It is not throwing any Check engine light (CEL) or codes on auto zones OBD II scan tool. I have tried to make it misfire a lot as to throw a code and point me to the faulty coil or plug but have no luck in doing so. The truck seems to be running fine other than this annoying AF issue. Also ford had to replace the engine under warranty about a year ago and I have put only 8000 miles on it. One of their brilliant techs didn't bolt down the front passenger side coil pack (I was sure this was the culprit) so I replaced the coil and plug but the problem persist. Any ideas help or comments are Greatly appreciated[/QUOTE]