Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2004 - 2009 F150 driveshaft, visteon, non replaceable carrier bearing, staked in uj

Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2004 - 2009 F150 driveshaft, visteon, non replaceable carrier bearing, staked in uj

Hello all.. just thought I would add some info that I am aware of..I see various post on the topic but thought I would cover it again..

"Most" of the 2pc and 1pc driveshafts on 2004 - 2009 f150 have a driveshaft made by Visteon. During these years with the Visteon made shaft the carrier bearings are NON replaceable. Various shafts may have universal joints that are standard 1350 series, some shafts may have "staked" in universal joints and some shafts have a combination of the 2 styles..

First the universal joints: (1pc shaft used as an example)

The "staked" in style have a cap diameter that is smaller than the 1350 series. There are no factory snaprings. Metal is "staked" over the cap to prevent it from falling out. There are snap rings grooves to allow the uj to be replaced..
I HIGHLY recommend that you DO NOT spend the money on these joints. #1 - At present time 1 uj costs between $70 - $150 a piece.
#2 - The replacement joints use various Shims or pucks on top of the caps and between the snap rings.. BOOhiss
#3 - Without rebalancing the shaft you may have a vibration..etc..
...so a 2PC shaft plus a balance = approx $200.00 after tax..
...if you plan on keeping the truck and if you ever have to replace them again - it will be cheaper in the long run to have a new shaft made for around $250.00 and it will have normal universal joints..
...Keep this in mind for the next section if applicable to your 2pc driveline

Now, the 2pc Visteon driveshaft
>(If I owned a Ford I would be mad! - now they are not the only culprits. Alot of your foreign cars have some of the same features . ie Staked in Uj's..etc.)

So on these years the Carrier bearing or Center Support Bearing are NON replaceable. The bearing is pressed on and then welded, trapped in between the "end yoke" and tubing. The components used make it really difficult to adapt/repair in a cost effective manner.. The components are friction welded to the tubing and as such add a level of difficulty to the driveline repair shops..
At approx $900 - $1,200 for a Ford Replacement of the same design you have some serious deciding to do..
Currently there are 4 other options that I know of and this will change per availability of the Visteon components.

#1 - Full Replacement with an aftermarket shaft using Standard, replaceable universal joints and carrier bearings.. Approx $575.00 .. There are several driveline shops able to make this shaft.
#2 - Full replacement with an EXACT duplicate of the Visteon style shaft = $380.00 (see ebay or these forums)
#3 - Partial repair.. (same above company can replace Just the Center carrier bearing Head Unit with new universal joint and center slip yoke and rebalance the shaft)
#4 - Visteon Exchange.. $250.00 (same above company can swap out your shaft with a used core that has been refurbished.New uj's and non-replaceable carrier bearing and balanced)

Your best option depends on what you will do with the truck. Sell it, keep it forever or ????

Mileage when the carrier bearing goes out has varied depending on how the truck is used.

...And some help on deciphering the part numbers/getting the right replacement shaft

The various part numbers on the shaft is kind hard to decipher..About the only thing I have seen is this. Only the earlier revisions the first number seems to indicate the year. So for a 2004 truck for example = the part number will start with a 4 or a 5.. 4l34-4k145-sa or 5l34-4k145-sd ..
..IT IS BEST to just right down YOUr number and try and find the same pn#
..but, for the peeps that can use a tape measure, you can measure a few things and be confident when assesing a possible alternative..
Things to measure/be aware of
#1 - Do you have a 2wd or 4wd..make sure the slip yoke is the same diameter on the replacement shaft!! .. 2wd = 1.6"dia , 4wd = 1.886"
#2 - Measure your front tube from Center of weld to center of weld
#3 - Measure your rear tube from center of weld to center of weld.
#4 - ..as a precaution..Look at your carrier bearing..make sure the brackets look the same..Most have a full metal shell clamped around the rubber, early ones or different applications did not have this..You get the wrong one and the shaft may fall out or thrust up into the frame/bed area...
...since all the visteon components are the same length - they just varied the tube lengths for the different platform combinations ie - XC,lngbed,shrtbed,crewcab,auto,man...etc...So you may find that YOUR 5l34-4k145-sd is the same as a 7l34-4r602-j ... (just an example - dont use this!!!)

Last edited by NAMYZZO; 02-22-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: i cant stop myself
The following users liked this post:
Unlimited HP (06-06-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NAMYZZO
Hello all.. just thought I would add some info that I am aware of..I see various post on the topic but thought I would cover it again..

"Most" of the 2pc and 1pc driveshafts on 2004 - 2009 f150 have a driveshaft made by Visteon. During these years with the Visteon made shaft the carrier bearings are NON replaceable. Various shafts may have universal joints that are standard 1350 series, some shafts may have "staked" in universal joints and some shafts have a combination of the 2 styles..

First the universal joints: (1pc shaft used as an example)

The "staked" in style have a cap diameter that is smaller than the 1350 series. There are no factory snaprings. Metal is "staked" over the cap to prevent it from falling out. There are snap rings grooves to allow the uj to be replaced..
I HIGHLY recommend that you DO NOT spend the money on these joints. #1 - At present time 1 uj costs between $70 - $150 a piece.
#2 - The replacement joints use various Shims or pucks on top of the caps and between the snap rings.. BOOhiss
#3 - Without rebalancing the shaft you may have a vibration..etc..
...so a 2PC shaft plus a balance = approx $200.00 after tax..
...if you plan on keeping the truck and if you ever have to replace them again - it will be cheaper in the long run to have a new shaft made for around $250.00 and it will have normal universal joints..
...Keep this in mind for the next section if applicable to your 2pc driveline

Now, the 2pc Visteon driveshaft
>(If I owned a Ford I would be mad! - now they are not the only culprits. Alot of your foreign cars have some of the same features . ie Staked in Uj's..etc.)

So on these years the Carrier bearing or Center Support Bearing are NON replaceable. The bearing is pressed on and then welded, trapped in between the "end yoke" and tubing. The components used make it really difficult to adapt/repair in a cost effective manner.. The components are friction welded to the tubing and as such add a level of difficulty to the driveline repair shops..
At approx $900 - $1,200 for a Ford Replacement of the same design you have some serious deciding to do..
Currently there are 4 other options that I know of and this will change per availability of the Visteon components.

#1 - Full Replacement with an aftermarket shaft using Standard, replaceable universal joints and carrier bearings.. Approx $575.00 .. There are several driveline shops able to make this shaft.
#2 - Full replacement with an EXACT duplicate of the Visteon style shaft = $380.00 (see ebay or these forums)
#3 - Partial repair.. (same above company can replace Just the Center carrier bearing Head Unit with new universal joint and center slip yoke and rebalance the shaft)
#4 - Visteon Exchange.. $250.00 (same above company can swap out your shaft with a used core that has been refurbished.New uj's and non-replaceable carrier bearing and balanced)

Your best option depends on what you will do with the truck. Sell it, keep it forever or ????

Mileage when the carrier bearing goes out has varied depending on how the truck is used.

...And some help on deciphering the part numbers/getting the right replacement shaft

The various part numbers on the shaft is kind hard to decipher..About the only thing I have seen is this. Only the earlier revisions the first number seems to indicate the year. So for a 2004 truck for example = the part number will start with a 4 or a 5.. 4l34-4k145-sa or 5l34-4k145-sd ..
..IT IS BEST to just right down YOUr number and try and find the same pn#
..but, for the peeps that can use a tape measure, you can measure a few things and be confident when assesing a possible alternative..
Things to measure/be aware of
#1 - Do you have a 2wd or 4wd..make sure the slip yoke is the same diameter on the replacement shaft!! .. 2wd = 1.6"dia , 4wd = 1.886"
#2 - Measure your front tube from Center of weld to center of weld
#3 - Measure your rear tube from center of weld to center of weld.
#4 - ..as a precaution..Look at your carrier bearing..make sure the brackets look the same..Most have a full metal shell clamped around the rubber, early ones or different applications did not have this..You get the wrong one and the shaft may fall out or thrust up into the frame/bed area...
...since all the visteon components are the same length - they just varied the tube lengths for the different platform combinations ie - XC,lngbed,shrtbed,crewcab,auto,man...etc...So you may find that YOUR 5l34-4k145-sd is the same as a 7l34-4r602-j ... (just an example - dont use this!!!)
Is Visteon exchange still available. I'm having trouble finding this remedy.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exchange program is over now..

Pricing depends on the part number found on your old driveshaft assembly:
Find your assembly# and goto fortwayneclutch.com. Enter that number into their Part Number Search Box.

Usually 2 options will show up.. One is "OEM Style" and the other is a "Conversion Style"
OEM Style = Carrier Bearing cannot be serviced.. Price range is typically $385-$420
Conversion Style = Carrier Bearing can be changed in the future if needed. Typically $400 - $585.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 - 2009 F150 driveshaft, visteon, non replaceable carrier bearing, staked in uj