Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2003 F150 FX4 Transfer Case....Stumped

Old 08-18-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 F150 FX4 Transfer Case....Stumped

This is hard to fully explain. A while back my transfer case went out. At first I thought it was transmission problems, but upon further study I was pretty sure it was the transfer case. I replaced the transfer case although since I wasn't 100% confident i replaced it with a used on from a salvage yard. On my first test drive the transfer case worked as it was suppose to and the transmission shifted like it should, but after 10 mph I heard a loud noise. As if something was wrapped around the driveshaft. Eventually I was able to pin point the noise as coming from the transfer case area. But I wasn't convinced it the transfer case or only the transfer case for that matter.
My 4 WD wasn't disengaging when going back to 2 HI. In 2 HI the noise continued and the front driveshaft was still turning. I just felt like the power to the front driveshaft was coming from the front passenger tire and not the transfer case. Sure enough after researching I ended up replacing the actuator for in the front differential which was bad, both plastic guides where broke off.
Went for another test drive and the noise continued and the driveshaft was still engaged in the front end.
Jacked up the entire truck and had my wife run through the transfer case gears. Started in 2 WD and the front end was turning with the noise. Put it in 4HI and the same thing. Put it in 2 HI and had her put it in reverse and then it worked like it should. It was quiet and only the rear end ran in both drive and reverse. Put it back in 4HI and all the crap started over again.
So then I put a vacuum gauge on the two lines going into the actuator. Both read over 15 to 20. And that is where I sit now.

Not wanting to replace the transfer case before a cheaper fix Im thinking that Ill change the actuator itself and perhaps the solenoids on the firewall. I've checked the lines themselves and they don't seem to be rubbing on anything. My thoughts are maybe the actuator is not fully disengaging the front half shaft or the solenoids are by-passing somehow??? I really dont know at this moment. Theres a chance the transfer case isnt any good but Im trying not to replace it and still have the same issue.

One more thing. I had 4WD issues prior to all this. On super cold days I could not engage my 4WD. Thats when someone had told me about the solenoids and actuator for the first time. I did not address it and eventually the transfer case went out. Thats why Im leaning in the direction of the vacuum system first. Anyone have a better idea????

Search this Thread