Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2000 Ford F150 Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Ford F150 Misfire

Before you glaze over this post...I know there are 1,000 threads on the topic of misfires in Fords, and I have read them all! But I still need some help from more knowledgeable others!

I have a 2000 Ford F150 (5.4l, 2V) with 178,xxx and I have been battling misfires for the last two years. Last year I replaced all the plugs and the bad coil and that lasted almost a year until now.

Now I have #4 misfire with the typical engine rock at idle and around 50mph and fluid in the spark plug hole.

The question I have is this: My truck is half and half on misfiring...even though I have a CEL on, one day it's misfiring and the next day it isn't at all. Would there be a reason for this? Could it be something other than a bad coil??

I've cleaned the MAF sensor and all of the other tricks mentioned here to no avail. I tried to check the VCT solenoid but I CANNOT locate it! Does anyone know where the VCT solenoid is on this model??

Any help is much appreciated!! Can't afford to keep throwing money at the wrong issue.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.howstuffinmycarworks.com/VCT_Solenoid.html

I don't think your engine has a Variable Cam Timing Solenoid..
Old 03-30-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would there be some other type of electrical issue that would be causing misfires?

I keep replacing the coils and they keep getting fried!

Some type of computer issue??

Quick Reply: 2000 Ford F150 Misfire