Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1998 F150 4x4 CV Joints/Axles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1998 F150 4x4 CV Joints/Axles? Help?

Hey, it's Tanner. I have some questions. My dad's on the verge of buying a 1998 F150 5.4L Triton V8 4x4 Extended Cab for my first truck. Only thing wrong with it is the driver and passenger CV joints. My dad thinks they are ruined entirely, but I think it's just the CV joint boots that have tears in them. Would that completely ruin them, or could you just replace the boots and they would be fixed from leaking? Also, how do you tell if the CV joints are broken, and need replacing? I'd rather go ahead a replace both whole CV axles. I was just wondering how hard is it to replace them and if you could tell me how. Also, how much would a mechanic charge to replace them without him having to buy them, as I will probably buy them myself. I have them priced at O'Reillys for around $53.00 each (Possibly 10 - 20 dollars more). Sorry for so many questions. I'm just trying to learn about trucks as much as I can, and my dad is thinking about not buying it just because of this problem, and I REALLY would like to have it as my first truck. Thanks a lot - Tanner. *No Negativity About Fords, A Ford Fan, Is A Ford Fan*

Last edited by TannerWillis; 08-25-2012 at 05:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 1998 F150 4x4 CV Joints/Axles?