Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1994 XLT 4x4 Axle and ??? Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 1994 XLT 4x4 Axle and ??? Q's

Quick question about replacing a UV - J
I replaced all the ones on my two drive shafts, easy as pie since they have a C-Clip, but what about the two front shaft ones, this is on my IFS F 150 4x4, `1994.

They are as I am thinking pressed in, as I see no C clips, one side the passanger is shot, it is still in there, but it has way to much movement. So needs to be replaced.

Also, the two shafts coming from the actual wheel hub actually move up and down if you were to say stick a bar under them, you could literally make them move inside the hub. Question here is, is it just maybe loose inside, as in the hub itself, or do you think the bearings are completly shot? Now if I lift the truck up in the front , even with the 35's on, the wheel does not wiggle, I would have thought if bearings were shot it would?

Last but not least, would it be just easier to yank these 2 hubs and rotors from a wrecked truck and shove them on? I know I would have to remove the ball joints, but that if not rusted on should not be a problem.

The main one though is the shaft itself, again this is the drivers side, so the shorty one, does it just pull out once you remove what I was just talking about above, or is it like a normal diff with C clips holding the shafts in. I personally do not feel like pulling the diff because if that is the case I might as well go find a F250 and put in a solid axle and be done with this IFS.

Suggestions, as to how much work this will all be, should I tackle it at home, and yes I am mechanically inclined, just never did a front end like this. Any special tools besides the hub tool?

Again this is a 1994 Ford XLT IFS 4x4, and a Dana 44 front.

Last edited by BluenoteGp; 04-21-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 1994 XLT 4x4 Axle and ??? Q's