Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1994 F150 Lost Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 F150 Lost Power

I am new to this and I am in need of help. First off, I bought the 1994 F150 5.0 a year ago and it had been sitting for around 3 years. Drove it home with plenty of power. Steering was off and it was shifting hard. Got home added transmission fluid and steering fluid, drove it a few days and was steering great and shifting smooth. Drained coolant, oil and replaced, new spark plugs and wires when I noticed wires hanging from under truck. Inspected and found out it was from the O2 sensor. The connection was gone for the sensor and the previous owner had it straight wired. I bought a new connector and a new O2 sensor and began the process of tracing wires to determine which wire was which. During this time, the truck completely lost power. The truck would rev up fine while in park but when I put it in gear, it would just creep. It would slowly gain speed and get to about 35mph with no response from pedal. Thought it was fuel so I replaced the fuel filter and that did nothing. At this point I took the truck to the local mechanic. They kept it for 2 months and couldn't figure it out. So I bought a computer for it, took it to dealership had it flashed and didn't work. Had the lead mechanic at dealership take a look at it and he was stumped as well. Any ideas? Going to just try to sell it if I have to start throwing a bunch of money at it.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

STOP throwing money (part$) at it. If nothing major has happened to it since the last time it ran well, then the problem is likely minor, and it probably doesn't need any parts. Put all the truck's details into your signature, as this caption explains:

(phone app link)

No one can flash that EEC, including the dealership - it's PnP. If you plan to keep it & drive it, read this caption:

(phone app link)

The first thing you should TEST (not replace) fuel pressure:

(phone app link)

Then read the fault codes:

(phone app link)

Check for timing chain slack:

(phone app link)

Read the spark plugs:

(phone app link)

Test compression:

(phone app link)

Check ignition timing & plug wire routing:

(phone app link)

Clean (don't replace) the cap & rotor:

(phone app link)
Old 06-15-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

3 things come to mind. Torque convertor, voltage to the spark plugs and a vacuum leak. I'd bet on one of the first two if you had been driving the truck.

Quick Reply: 1994 F150 Lost Power