Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1993 F150 Hesitation and Stall

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Newbie Lightning Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1993 F150 Hesitation and Stall

Hey I have a 93 F150 with the 302. 217000 on the odometer and it actually runs pretty good. I was very surprised when I bought this the other day it was very sound for being such high mileage and twenty years old. One thing is still bugging me that I cannot figure out:
It was having a little problem re-starting after it was driven. So I started the tune up. Replaced the distributor (PIP), plugs (gap @ 55), cleaned the IAC, air filter, breather, fuel filter, cap, rotor, air temp sensor, and fuel pressure regulator. The only thing I did not replace was the wires and pcv valve. I have no CHECK ENGINE light, just a blinking air bag light.
I got it to drive around and start back up fine. Fires every time. Pumps kick on good and there is no sign of any vacuum leaks.
So I started driving it farther and farther. The engine is idling smooth and it is steady out the exhaust. Don't smell any type of fuel or anything.
The puzzling thing at the moment is when I come to a complete stop. As I begin to go I have to baby the throttle or it will die. I can't just stop and go like normal. No matter what gear I put it in, forward or reverse.
When it stalls, I can just fire it right back up and take off. The next stop sign, same thing.
It doesn't want to lurch forward like the trans is not kicking down all the way. It does not pop and back fire, run rough or anything. It just idles down low and dies when you push on the gas. If your in PARK you can rev the motor all you want and it runs fine.
Am I missing something?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Did tou clean the tb?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Newbie Lightning Owner

I did last night. It was pretty dingy, especially behind the butterflies. It seamed to help some, but still has a little hiccup. I didn't remove it and clean it. I just idled it up and generously sprayed in the TB cleaning while keeping idle. Was able to get a rag deep in side behind the blades and got quite a bit. Will have to take it off to get 100%.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
DIY

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Clean the injectors by adding a bottle or 2 of Techron fuel additive or similar product.
Check the operation of the throttle position sensor and the EFI fuel pressure regulator.
Ensure the fuel pressure regulator is properly grounded and providing the correct voltage feedback to the ECU.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by LYTEMUP
I did last night. It was pretty dingy, especially behind the butterflies. It seamed to help some, but still has a little hiccup. I didn't remove it and clean it. I just idled it up and generously sprayed in the TB cleaning while keeping idle. Was able to get a rag deep in side behind the blades and got quite a bit. Will have to take it off to get 100%.

Yeah I would remove it because there is alot more gunk under there than you think. That way you can get every nook and cranny. There have been some guys that tried it the way you did and didnt work very well and as soon as they pulled it and did a good cleaning it worked wonders. Remember to pull your battery cables for about 30 min and hook it back up afterwards so it can relearn the idle with the clean TB.
Also like DIY said, clean the other componets as well. You should notice a huge difference. If you are using an ait filter that requires re oiling, clean your MAF also. The oil from the filter can clog it up.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Newbie Lightning Owner

I replaced the fuel pressure regulator but need to put my guage on the schrader valve to make sure it is constant temp even after the pumps warm up. I am gonna go ahead and pull the throttle body this evening and clean it out entirely. As for grounding the regulator, it only attaches by three allen head screws to the rail. There is only a vacuum line going to it. It has no communication directly to the computer. I am a faithful Lucas user but am planning on just pulling the injectors and having them rebuilt and flow tested. I am just using stock disposible air filters and this truck is speed density so no Mass Air meter.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 PM
DIY

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Fuel injector fix Tip:
This short cut is a real money and time saver.
No need to pull the injectors and send them out to a FI repair shop!
Simply unplug each electrical connection at the injector (one at a time), then turn the ignition key to the run position and momentarily energize the injector with a fresh 9volt dry cell battery connected to a pair of jumper wires clipped to the injector terminals for 6 to 8 seconds, then turn the key off. This will flush the injector and restore a good spray pattern 98% of the time. Repeat with each injector. Do only 2 or 3 at a time or you might flood the engine with fuel. Start the engine 2 or 3 times during the process to clear the excess fuel out of the cylinders.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Newbie Lightning Owner

Originally Posted by DIY
Fuel injector fix Tip:
This short cut is a real money and time saver.
No need to pull the injectors and send them out to a FI repair shop!
Simply unplug each electrical connection at the injector (one at a time), then turn the ignition key to the run position and momentarily energize the injector with a fresh 9volt dry cell battery connected to a pair of jumper wires clipped to the injector terminals for 6 to 8 seconds, then turn the key off. This will flush the injector and restore a good spray pattern 98% of the time. Repeat with each injector. Do only 2 or 3 at a time or you might flood the engine with fuel. Start the engine 2 or 3 times during the process to clear the excess fuel out of the cylinders.
Great information DIY. Especially in this economy every dime saved helps. I am in the middle of a project on the truck as we speak. I had planned on pulling the TB off this afternoon after I dropped the trans pan and swapped out the filter. Wellllllll I ran out of time...LOL As I was shifting through the gears letting the fresh transmission fluid go through the valve body and such, my shift tube broke. Something always felt funny when I would pull down the shifter into gear. Felt sloppy, I guess that is why.
Along with all that my L had a CEL come on this weekend (banks 1 & 2 lean) so I need to get this 93 up and going to do some SVT maintenance.
I will keep the post updated with a fix on the hesitation and stalling when I fix it.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Newbie Lightning Owner

I want to tell everyone thanks for the advise. The old truck is running pretty good down the road.
I cleaned the TB, replaced the fuel pressure regulator, did a complete tune up and installed a new distributor with PIP (for the original hot no re-start issue). For 217,700 miles it is in pretty good shape now.
Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:37 PM

Good deal. Glad to hear you got it running better!

Quick Reply: 1993 F150 Hesitation and Stall