Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1992 F 150 4x4 Ball joints replacment help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 1992 F 150 4x4 Ball joints replacment help

Ok got things figured out in my other thread, got the tool to remove the two ball joints etc.

This is a 1992 F150 4x4 , and I am replacing the uper ball joint, not the lower as I had that changed already but water got into the upper and destroyed it, to much driving through rivers I guess, hahaha. Now I am told I have to remove both ball joints to properly do the upper one right?

Is there any step by step manual online you can direct me to, or give me some advice as I am doing this in my driveway and its not the warmest outside, just above the freezing mark and raining so yuck all around. I've already soaked the nuts and everything with penatrating oil for two days straight to loosen the rust up as I know thats going to be a big issue. What I am concerned about as I never did the lower myself and this being a 4x4, and I do nto want to pull the axle out or the hub off as I just had the bearings redone and thats another tool I'd need again.

So any help on doing this step by step would be greatly appreiciated.

And if you think I should just not attempt this then let loose on me. I am though mechanically inclined so this isn't a big worry to me, I just am not a suspension.steering man, so new territory for me and I want to get it right.

Thanks for any input good or bad
Old 03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A Chilton manual for your truck should be helpfull.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pro-x-144
A Chilton manual for your truck should be helpfull.
Yes it would, so would a Haynes, but I have tried to find one everywhere, where I live and no one has my years, I even tried yes that place called the libriary, lol. They have one copy, and its out.

Thats why I was hoping someone would have an online site that I could go to or post osme pics etc of what I need to do.

Also what size of nut is it, I know its way over an 1 inch, just want to make sure I have the right size.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

auto zone has em, or you can get them online

Quick Reply: 1992 F 150 4x4 Ball joints replacment help