Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1991 aussie f150 clunk!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:35 PM
Gullygump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 aussie f150 clunk!

Hi all, I have been searching a while on here now, and I can't find that anyone has the same issue, so I'll describe it in detail.

1991 f150. 5.8 litre 5sp manual 4x4

When I take off from a stop, there is a solid thump. It doesn't happen every single time, sometimes its not very noticeable, other times its very noticeable.

My first thought was engine mount, even though it seems to be coming from the back, the feel is the same at the engine being dropped back down from various heights- small to large thumps.

However, loading up the engine in first and reverse with the bonnet up, revealed no issues. Also, the thump occurs as I disengage the clutch, and increase throttle input, in my experience a broken engine mount reveals itself AFTER you let off the throttle, and remove the load from the engine.

I then replaced the gear box mount. I was very happy when the old one came out in two pieces, because I was convinced this was it. It wasn't.

A search on the forums found many users with 'slip yoke' clunks. however my tail shaft is one piece, and I don't have a slip yoke.

Further testing-

With the clutch disengaged- driving in first gear, on and off the accelerator with various degrees of aggression, and no thump. Try it in second- no thump.

It only seems to happen from a dead stop, releasing the clutch pedal to take of positively. A very easy take off with little accelerator pedal can avoid the thump.

I can't seem to make the thump happen at all by using the brake and loading up truck....like when checking engine mounts...no thump happens then. It feels exactly like a heavy object in the back shifts half a foot as you take off, like a load sliding to a stop against the tailgate.

Help.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

This isn't a maintenance question, so if the staff moves this thread, look for it in the '87-96 forum, a little farther down the main page.

Since Aussie F150s were usually modified when imported there, you need to fully-describe the truck in your signature here so we can see its details with each of your posts. Click this & read the caption:

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/72354 (for phone apps)

Don't leave anything out just because you might think it has nothing to do with this particular question. Put EVERY detail in. We may see something you haven't though of. And you won't have to re-edit your signature every time you ask a new question.

But I'd start by checking the spare tire.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Check radius arm bushings.

Quick Reply: 1991 aussie f150 clunk!