Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1990 F150 XLT Lariat only starts with tilt steering column all the way up

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1990 F150 XLT Lariat only starts with tilt steering column all the way up

1990 F150 XLT Lariat only starts with tilt steering column all the way up has anyone faced this problem before? Thanks for your time and input.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:48 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by zbowen
1990 F150 XLT Lariat only starts with tilt steering column all the way up has anyone faced this problem before? Thanks for your time and input.
Is the tilt column joint loose and wiggly? If so the pivot pins have worked themselves out or the housing is worn out. A new column is in your near future.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Is the tilt column joint loose and wiggly? If so the pivot pins have worked themselves out or the housing is worn out. A new column is in your near future.
yeah i'd say a new steering column is not far away
Old 03-24-2019, 04:20 PM

Talking Thanks for the response

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Yeah the whole steering column is loose and the tilt only stays up... to start you have to push up just a tad bit more and it kicks over just fine... Im not familiar with steering columns at all. I just replaced the actuator rod in it - the old one was snapped - picked this up a week ago for 700 bucks and it has 150k on power train... Dont want to make it perfect just reliable... New steering column huh? I'm sure this will be a learning curve hahaha any reccomended reads or videos before I dive into that. Again, thanks for the help.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:28 PM

youtube might have some videos of steering column replacing. here is a link from a website
http://www.steeringcolumnservices.co...991Removal.pdf
The following users liked this post:
zbowen (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 06:13 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by zbowen
Yeah the whole steering column is loose and the tilt only stays up... to start you have to push up just a tad bit more and it kicks over just fine... Im not familiar with steering columns at all. I just replaced the actuator rod in it - the old one was snapped - picked this up a week ago for 700 bucks and it has 150k on power train... Dont want to make it perfect just reliable... New steering column huh? I'm sure this will be a learning curve hahaha any reccomended reads or videos before I dive into that. Again, thanks for the help.
Replacing the column is fairly straight forward. Check youtube for vids.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:43 PM

Any dealers recommended for replacement assembly? Also do you guys know what part is malfunctioning that would cause it to only start when in full up condition?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 AM

based on what i know on this gen the ignition switches are junk on them. i've seen some where the switch broke and could turn 360 degrees
The following users liked this post:
zbowen (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:57 PM

Yes they are, I have replaced the ignition lock cylinder and ignition actuator, they where both busted ... I think, and I have to wait until tomorrow to test this, that the linkage to the neutral safety switch (the linkage that comes off the column near the steering shaft joint in the engine bay) may be ramshackled and in need of new bearings... Too much play allowing the arm to rest down towards reverse as opposed to park... Im going to take a buddy and have him try to start it while I mess around with the linkage and switch at the tranny some... It may be possible that pushing up on the tilt pushed up on the shaft pushed up on the linkage just enough to contact the micro switches for the gear selector... we will see.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:17 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The ignition switch doesn't turn - it slides. The lock cylinder turns, and they rarely go bad on pre-'92 trucks. The ignition switch was recalled, but it shouldn't be failing only now - it was either replaced already, or it should last forever.

The reason it only starts tilted up is the ACTUATORS between the cylinder & switch - they're the most-common problem in those old tilt columns. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)

The PREVious diagram shows the 4 types of column that can be in these old trucks.

Quick Reply: 1990 F150 XLT Lariat only starts with tilt steering column all the way up