Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1986 F150 fuel issue, sputtering, low oil pressure, white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 F150 fuel issue, sputtering, low oil pressure, white smoke

Hello, I have a 1986 f150 4.9 liter 6 cylinder pick up. The last few days the truck has been sputtering, stalling at random times, and running sluggish whenever giving gas. It just got exponentially worse. It is very loud now & the oil pressure is also low. Engine sounds like it is not getting the right amount of fuel. Just opened up the hood and noticed a broken piece under the carburetor, a hose with a metal adapter that connects under the carb, pictured here. Does anyone know what piece this is? I assume this is what is causing the issue. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by jacetheace95; 06-12-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Looks to me like EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve. Where does the other end of the hose go to?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:30 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

It's the upstream secondary air injection check valve, and it has no effect on how the engine runs, or the oil pressure.

(phone app link)

It's just a massive exhaust leak, adding to the filth on your engine. You should really try to clean it up - it'll make it easier to find its other problems, and easier to maintain later.

(phone app link)

The most-likely cause of the poor idle is the design of the 1-bbl carb; it's held on the intake by only 2 studs, so it rocks on them, crushing its thick gasket, resulting in vacuum leaks. Even when everything is running perfectly, the unequal-runner manifold causes cylinders 3 & 4 to run rich, and 1 & 6 to run lean. A leak at the base of the carb makes a bad situation worse. Read this caption:

(phone app link)

To guess about the oil pressure, I'd need a LOT more info about how the truck is built, and its maintenance & repair history:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mike from TN
Looks to me like EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve. Where does the other end of the hose go to?
The other end meets up with more exhaust valves. I believe it is the secondary air injection check valve as someone mentioned below.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
It's the upstream secondary air injection check valve, and it has no effect on how the engine runs, or the oil pressure.

(phone app link)

It's just a massive exhaust leak, adding to the filth on your engine. You should really try to clean it up - it'll make it easier to find its other problems, and easier to maintain later.

(phone app link)

The most-likely cause of the poor idle is the design of the 1-bbl carb; it's held on the intake by only 2 studs, so it rocks on them, crushing its thick gasket, resulting in vacuum leaks. Even when everything is running perfectly, the unequal-runner manifold causes cylinders 3 & 4 to run rich, and 1 & 6 to run lean. A leak at the base of the carb makes a bad situation worse. Read this caption:

(phone app link)

To guess about the oil pressure, I'd need a LOT more info about how the truck is built, and its maintenance & repair history:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
Thank you very much for the information, I will be looking through everything.

Quick Reply: 1986 F150 fuel issue, sputtering, low oil pressure, white smoke