Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1100 RPM @ 45-50 mph = SPUT-T-TER????

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1100 RPM @ 45-50 mph = SPUT-T-TER????

As title suggests, my '07 f150 5.4 supercrew with 70k miles just began sputtering. It tends to happen at about 1100 rpm at 45-50 mph. I can usually get it to happen when a slight load is put on the engine, like going up a slight incline. It does, however, happen without the incline. If I step on the gas, I get right through it. What are your thoughts
Old 05-19-2013, 03:04 PM

I have the same problem! I haven't had a chance to fix it yet, but all the stuff I've read, it's one of two things. Could be the fuel filter and the next part is just copied and pasted from my thread asking about it!

"The stutter could be the fuel module. Easy to check. Take down your spare tire an you will see a box mounted above it. Take it down. If you see corrosion on it replace it. It's not too expensive. $60 or so and the upgraded one has some spacers to keep it from corroding."
Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Check or replace your plugs and wires, mainly wires. If that does not fix the problem it maybe the coil pack. Pretty sure it's not a fuel issue.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have exactly the same thing, I recentlyReplaced the spark plugs (3 broke) and have replaced two coil packs because of codes telling me a certain cylinder misfire. But still no luck! When the coil pack fails; does it shut off the fuel injector? Or when the fuel injector fails; does it shut off the coil pack? I've been having this issue for quite some time. I tend to drive easy so this doesn't happen but my gas millage is hopeless. I'm doing about 14 miles to the gallon. Please help guys!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 PM

Check the coil packs. Had the same problem on my 03 and stopped as soon as I changed them.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc D
Check or replace your plugs and wires, mainly wires. If that does not fix the problem it maybe the coil pack. Pretty sure it's not a fuel issue.
Ding! Ding! Ding!
Here's your answer. Change the plugs. I had the same problem and here is my thread that I started on my issue and the outcome. (2006 F-150 Lariat 4x4)

https://www.f150forum.com/f12/shudde...rpm-od-212544/

It is running like a new truck now. It felt like the torque converter was slipping in OD or something. Just a bad shudder or convulsing at those low rpms in OD. I was doubting what guys were saying about the mis-fires and that it was plugs or COP's.

However, I accelerated hard the next day and it dropped down a gear and it was definitely missing. Try that and see if you here it missing in hard acceleration. That will be another symptom as to why it is the plugs or COPs.

I pulled the plugs out and seeing the gaps in the plugs compared to the new ones, I can see what it was missing. Huge gaps.

Do the plugs first.
Check COP's if that doesn't fix it.
Good luck.

BTW, here is a great link to changing the plugs:
https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-spark-plug-change-2004-2008-5-4-3v-v8-116291/
Only thing I would add is that the Ford TSB recommends turning over the engine with the plugs out to flush out any debris and PB penetrant/Carb cleaner out of the cylinders. This will remove the risk of hydro-locking when starting it.

The method works but patience is the key. Let it soak for awhile (1-1.5 hrs) then bit by bit work them off. Back it out an 1/8 turn then reverse ratchet and go back on. Go back and forth little by little and they will come out. I broke 2. Just assume you will break one or 2.

Last edited by jp4lsu; 06-24-2013 at 05:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jp4lsu:
MarysTLC (08-01-2013), Rocky0789 (06-25-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Yep it was my spark plugs as well. Exact symptoms you had. Fortunately I found this out during the test drive and made the dealer take care of it before I bought it. But it was the spark plugs!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, just to let everyone know I just recently replaced all COP (coil packs) Accel Brand ($200 on Amazon) and the truck is running excellent. I did a trip to Houston from Mission TX and it ran like a champ. 75-80(new speed limit in Texas) on the highway was no worries for this 2004.

Thanks all for your help.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went to my mechanic with the same problem. Searched through the forums and found three possible problems...Plugs, wires or coil...
He and I drove it and he said it was none of those and suggested a cheap and easy fix. He said he has seen it so many times with our Fords...going 40 - 50 mph and have a slight load like going up a slight incline and it feels like the tranny is about to fall out...
He would up putting in a tube of this :: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0444&ppt=C0207

I must say that after about 20 or so miles on it the sputtering was almost cut in half. I called him back and he said I need to drive it for a week or so to get the fluid all over the place. May want to try this and share this thought...Will let you know in a few weeks how it goes. Right now it is still there just not as prevalent.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

I had my plugs replaced 4000 miles ago and mine is starting to do the same. It's almost feels like hitting a rumble strip for a second. I'm going to have to check all the COP I think.

Quick Reply: 1100 RPM @ 45-50 mph = SPUT-T-TER????