Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Is $1000 quote decent for upper control arms and strut shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is $1000 quote decent for upper control arms and strut shocks?

I noticed today that my upper ball joint boots had cracked and all the grease had leaked out so they don't have much more life left, if they aren't already shot. I took it to my usual shop and they quoted $1000 bucks for upper control arms (both) and replacement shocks for both front struts, I figured while they are taking them out why not replace them so I don't have to redo this work when it warms up outside. The quote also included labor.

The only reason i didn't do it was because i bought the truck used and didn't get the 5 spline lug nut lock key... But thats another story. Had to smash a 12 point 18mm onto them to get them off, luckily the sockets are 5 bucks at lowe's for a decent quality Kobalt that lasted to take off all four.

The only reason i am taking it to a shop is for time's sake and i don't have a garage. With it being like 20 degrees at the high point for the usual day here, I'm not goin to sit out in the freezing cold.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

price out the parts on rockauto.com and then see what they're charging for labor. Chances are they're making serious coin on both the parts AND the labor.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:44 AM

Well, i forgot to ask about the struts, if it was just the shock or the whole strut, because they are charging 119 a piece. That would lead me to believe they are charging me for an entire assembly... even though they would probably replace just the strut.... I hate dealing with mechanic shops, but i guess everybody's gotta get rich somehow.

They were charging 80 bucks for each control arm and 200 in labor for both. A little over priced on control arms, but labor was priced right. I decided not to do the struts. They were double dipping in labor. 245 labor for just the struts, which is outrageous because they have to remove struts to remove the control arms..... I can just do the struts by myself when it warms up because you can remove them with just the tire off, correct?

Last edited by erchuero; 12-29-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

$119 for what strut? Brand makes a difference. Cheap crap ones could cost $70-80 but they mark up price.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:00 PM

I was only in the office for a minute or two so i didn't get every detail. He didn't state the brand of the control arms but he said motorcraft struts.

I bought the truck used and can't identify the lift kit, but it is a strut spacer and looks like a taller knuckle, so I would assume that a factory strut would be the best to put back in? I don't go offroading, it is really just a "lookin" truck.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

It's a very simple job with basic tools. Air tools and pry bars makes life super easy. The alignment after is a $100.

Where are you located?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:30 PM

Central VA. and they are only charging 75 for alignment. Like i said, if it wasnt freezing this week i would do it myself. But i needed it done ASAP and i travel every week for work so i don't have much time home to work on stuff, this was my only week off. Hate travelling but it pays good
Old 12-30-2017, 09:59 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

You do not need to remove the coil over to replace the UCA.. but, once the UCA is removed it makes the coilover much easier to remove. If they are just going to replace the strut in the coilover they need to disassemble and reassemble the coilover with a spring compressor. Motorcraft UCA run $105ea. At rock auto with moog at $66 ea. And cheapo’s at $25 ea. Motorcraft replacement struts are $55 ea for 4WD.. so, you are looking at about $400 in good quality parts...

Quick Reply: Is $1000 quote decent for upper control arms and strut shocks?