Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1,000 rpm surging and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1,000 rpm surging and stalling

First of all hello all,
My truck is a 1993 F150 5.8 351W. Since I've owned this truck she has ran like a top. A month ago out of the blue the truck was making a loud "popping" noise from the engine bay. I learned that the camshaft had flattened out and destroyed a lifter or two. I had a mechanic i know do do the work of installing the new camshaft and lifters ( Comp-cam hi- energy camshaft). When i got the truck back 30 days later I have discovered many new parts. Camshaft and lifters are in, new water pump, new throttle position sensor, new map sensor, new idle air control valve, new EGR valve, new EGR valve position sensor, new plugs, wires, new distributor, new O2 sensor.... not sure if i missed anything so heres the issue that has me stump

My truck starts up ( some times with the gas pedal and sometimes by itself) then after jumping right too 2,000 RPM she simmers down to about 1,100 RPM. Then after 1 min or 5, she surges down too 500 RPM then raises too 1500 RPM where she continues to go back and forth. When she is down around 500 RPM she seems like its going to stall then shoots up too 1500 and sits for 30 seconds and does it all over again. If I try and go into gear she stalls out ( reverse or drive). Once I'm on the road she opens up and hauls ***. Sometimes she idles at a stop sign and sometimes she dies, depends on her mood. I have checked for vacuum leaks and everything else i can think of... I am stumped. Looking for any suggestions.

Quick Reply: 1,000 rpm surging and stalling