Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

06 f150 5.4 tune-up turned bad! P0300, p0302, p0304.. "NOT plugs, or coils"

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 f150 5.4 tune-up turned bad! P0300, p0302, p0304.. "NOT plugs, or coils"

New to the forum so be easy ..
06 f150 5.4 triton, 175xxx miles. I had a cylinder 5 misfire so I just decided to order plugs and coils and get it done with. Both plugs and coils are new motorcraft parts. I replaced all the plugs " none broke", put new coils on and it ran worse now then before. No codes so i took for a test drive to get fuel " wich was running on fumes and i hope thats not the misfire cause".. On way home it threw pending codes p0300, p0302, p0304, p0306, got home pulled them plugs put old ones back in that were good, swapped coils with other cylinders and misfire p0306 went away but 00, 02, and 04 remained, CEL stayed on after this test drive. Smooths out after you get going, just idles rough and a dog when under a load.. Fuel pressure is at 32koeo and 39koer, cat temp at idle was 870, cleaned maf sensor, checked for vacuum leaks "50times", Is it possible for running it that low on fuel to clog injectors or filter? Changed fuel filter 2 months ago. Cleaned throttle body at that time. It just has me puzzled because was no misfire on them cylinders before i worked on it and they all came on at once... Havent checked compression because them cylinders were fine this morning. Can a fuel rail sensor cause misfire? If I unplug it while running there is no difference in engine. Next step will be to replace injectors amd maybe fuel filter again?? Kind of at a dumb spot like im missing something.." Hate that F****** cylinder 4!!" Any help or criticism will help. Thank you!

Last edited by Buckwild223; 03-23-2019 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Misspelled a word
Old 03-23-2019, 09:09 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

what plugs did you install? i know you said motorcraft but, do you know if they were SP546 ? plugs can be bad out of the box.. they can get dropped or cracked during install... did you use a torque wrench ? are they motorcraft coils ? did you use any dielectric grease or anti seize? Did the COP’s come with new boots and springs ?

Last edited by techrep; 03-23-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
what plugs did you install? i know you said motorcraft but, do you know if they were SP546 ? plugs can be bad out of the box.. they can get dropped or cracked during install... did you use a torque wrench ? are they motorcraft coils ? did you use any dielectric grease or anti seize? Did the COP’s come with new boots and springs ?
the plugs were motorcraft sp515, i did not use a torque wrench but they were not overtightened. The coils are motorcraft yes and they came with new springs and boots on them, i used dielelectric grease in the boot end and small amount of anti seize on the plug inserts but not the threads.
I understand plugs can be bad out of box so that why I reinstalled the old ones back in them cylinders but before I pulled the new ones back out I put the old ones in the coils and held by a ground on top of engine and they had all kinds of spark. I will go buy some more plugs today and put in where I put old ones but I'm not expecting that to change anything.. Should that fuel pressure sensor make the engine stumble if I unplug it while idleing? I'm just leaning more torwards something fuel related now but I honestly have no idea why all the sudden something fuel is wrong when all i did was swap plugs and coils, BUT, the running that low on fuel always makes me nervous too for the fuel pump and filter, but it shows good fuel pressure also.. Help! Head is about to explode! Lol.

" this electronic bulls*** is why i rebuild and work on old fords! Bailing wire and ductape can fix anything on one!"
Old 03-23-2019, 02:12 PM

Could it possibly be the VCTs or the FPDM and would cause this problem? Or the Fuel rail pressure sensor?
Old 03-23-2019, 03:52 PM
Mark

i would put some SP 546 plugs in with out anti seize.. no longer required with newer plugs.. clean plug wells throughly prior to installation of SP 546 which btw are pre gapped @ .054, make sure dielectric grease is not globed on the spring. fuel injectors can also be swapped to troubleshoot the the mis-fire DTC’s... double check the injector connectors which may have been bumped during plug and COP installation. Disconnect battery when doing all this to re-set when done. check the condition of your FPDM located above the spare tire. It’s mounted to the frame rail and corrode’s the back side... will cause weird problems like you have.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:42 PM

I tried another spark plug in cylinder 2 just to see if it would change anything.. I did not put any anti seize on it and when i went to pull it out and try a different plug it busted off. I didnt torque them but i would guess 20-25 lbs is what they are at. All connectors to injectors and coils I removed and sprayed with electrical cleaner and reconnected them all and no change.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:47 PM

Parts store is 1.5 hours away and on my way there to get a brush to clean plug wells and get a new set of plugs to install and Will check the FPDM tomorrow.. Thank you for the quick responses..
Old 03-24-2019, 09:10 AM
Mark

Originally Posted by Buckwild223

I tried another spark plug in cylinder 2 just to see if it would change anything.. I did not put any anti seize on it and when i went to pull it out and try a different plug it busted off. I didnt torque them but i would guess 20-25 lbs is what they are at. All connectors to injectors and coils I removed and sprayed with electrical cleaner and reconnected them all and no change.
Those are the old style plugs... get SP 546.. no anti seize required. Sounds like you have so plug well cleaning to do.

Last edited by techrep; 03-24-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:11 PM

What a headache!! Every 515 i put in 2 days ago broke off! I cleaned the wells good with a wire brush, put another new set of plugs in 546 this time and boom.. Runs like a champ! I was dumbfounded that a new set of 515s could be that ****ty.. Whoever invented them 2 piece spark plugs needs to be kicked in the nuts and then kicked again!! Thank you for your input Mark. Still going to change out the FPDM and keep my old one as a spare. Thanks again
Old 03-25-2019, 06:14 AM
Mark

you bet...

Quick Reply: 06 f150 5.4 tune-up turned bad! P0300, p0302, p0304.. "NOT plugs, or coils"