Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

04 f150 fx4 - pcm

Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 04 f150 fx4 - pcm

I'm needing to replace my pcm in my truck and can't afford a new one nor have a shop replace it. I'm going to look at the junkyard for one .
my question is how can check to make sure out will match my trucks needs?
I know I have to get programmed and keys reset but not sure how to compare the PCM with mine.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:46 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Same year.. same configuration would be nice.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

In the 11 years I worked at the dealer, I can count on one hand how many pcm's I had to replace, it's not a common part to go bad. Curious why you think yours is?

No matter what used/new pcm you get it will not work until it's programmed using a computer that mostly only Ford dealers have, it's called IDS.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:48 PM

I've replaced both the TPS & THROTTLE BODY MOTOR, cleaned the throttle body to, 4 different times and all I get is a CLICKING when I try to reset the computer and let the it cycle thru to relearn the throttle body position.
I talked with a local mechanic and he said this year and model he has had to replace the PCM to fix the problem.
I was able for several months to just reset the computer and let it cycle thru and it would fix my problem but not any more.

Last edited by Jason Iwamoto; 09-23-2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Missing word
Old 09-23-2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Iwamoto
I've replaced both the TPS & THROTTLE BODY MOTOR, cleaned the throttle body to, 4 different times and all I get is a CLICKING when I try to reset the computer and let the it cycle thru to relearn the throttle body position.
I talked with a local mechanic and he said this year and model he has had to replace the PCM to fix the problem.
I was able for several months to just reset the computer and let it cycle thru and it would fix my problem but not any more.
Ahh I see, so your mechanic that you opted to trust advises it and yet you started your post by stating you couldn't afford to take it to a shop. Hmm OK. Good luck
Old 09-23-2017, 09:45 PM

Wtf is your problem ! I stated I can't afford to take it to a shop to get it fixed, so I talked to several people and this mechanic alone with 2 others I talked to asking for help & advice is what I got, so I came here to seek more advice from people that might of come across the same !
if you can't read nor give positive help KEEP UR thoughts to your self!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Iwamoto
Wtf is your problem ! I stated I can't afford to take it to a shop to get it fixed, so I talked to several people and this mechanic alone with 2 others I talked to asking for help & advice is what I got, so I came here to seek more advice from people that might of come across the same !
if you can't read nor give positive help KEEP UR thoughts to your self!
I have no problem, I was trying to dig deeper in an effort to assist you with your concern, guess you didn't notice my signature.

Throwing parts at the truck will NOT fix it until you have replaced more parts than what the vehicle is worth (unless you get lucky).

You need to find a tech that can diagnose the problem, I was willing to try and help but your attitude bold underlined reply to my question gets you nothing.

Good luck in any event.

Last edited by RLXXI; 09-24-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Search this Thread