Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

03 F150 jerking while going uphill or inclining?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 F150 jerking while going uphill or inclining?

Ok my truck started jerking few days ago and feels like its getting worse, almost like its missfiring but only does it going up a incline. The code its throwing is 0430 0442 and 0457 and the gas cap light is on also. Replaced gas cap with new one but still no help. Any ideas what could be causing the jerking?

03 Ford F150 crew Fx4 5.4
Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 PM
F150 Forum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0430
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0442
http://engine-codes.com/p0457_ford.html

The surging could be due to a EVAP system leak.
The following users liked this post:
jeremypatrickreed (05-10-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 06:25 PM

Question jerk problem

My 2007 4.2L XL started jerking and knocking on me about two months ago. First, I changed the fuel filter. It seemed to improve but got worse after a short period of time. Next, I did a Seafoam treatment and changed the spark plugs and got very good results--no more knocking but some jerking here and there. The spark plugs were damaged (insulators with yellowish appearance), appearing to have "high-speed glazing," according to the Haynes Repair Manual for Ford Pick-Ups 2004-2012. Then, I changed the spark plug wires. Truck ran much smoother after that. By the way, all of the parts were Motorcraft. Now I only jerk when going up hill. I don't know what to do next.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an 06 with the 5.4 Triton. Mine was doing this in low rpm in OD. Especially if you started going up an incline. After coming here and people telling me it was just a miss and to change the plugs, I wasn't convinced it was just a miss.

Then one day I accelerated really hard and I definitely could tell it was a miss.

Changed the plugs and it is driving like a new truck. Totally corrected the problem.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 PM

Hey guys and gals(?)

First post in here..had previously been posting at tdiclub.com but since I've gotten back into a truck I've had no need for it.

Anyway I too had this problem- 1 week ago while on cruise, hwy driving. I'd never had it happen before. It was sutble but my Dad could feel it with out my saying anything. I've had this truck since Nov (227XXX km, 4.6, 2005) and had done nothing to it since I bought it (oil change had been done and filter looked perfect. Anyway, I needed to do the oil so I changed it, the filter and air filter (Finally caved to the K&N) and did plugs (NGK G power TR55gp) that the local parts store gave me. Drove 10 min back to town with no problems. Next morning, vibrating at idle and farting and stuttering like nobody's business. I checked 6 of the plugs for gap and COP installation (first time dealing with them). Ran out of time so the back two on Pass side did not get pulled. Everything looked fine. Auto lite plugs came out...had some yellowish junk on 'em...I'm sort of at a loss. I did not throw the old filter away yet so I may pop that in...it's throwing a code as well but I dont have a scanner. Wondered if I may have bumped a wire or pulled something out/off by mistake...

Thanks in advance and look forward to participating in what I'm sure will be another great forum!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Kyuss, it is shuddering at low rpm. Mine would do it while in OD and running between 40-50mph. So it was really low rpm. It would clear up it if downshift. But if I accelerated hard and it started to wind out you could hear the miss.

Did you change plugs yet?
I see you have NGK's but have you installed them yet? Try that first, then start looking at COP's and fuel filters and cleaning intake/MAF on the top side if the plugs don't clear it up.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jp4lsu
Kyuss, it is shuddering at low rpm. Mine would do it while in OD and running between 40-50mph. So it was really low rpm. It would clear up it if downshift. But if I accelerated hard and it started to wind out you could hear the miss.

Did you change plugs yet?
I see you have NGK's but have you installed them yet? Try that first, then start looking at COP's and fuel filters and cleaning intake/MAF on the top side if the plugs don't clear it up.
I did change them. That's when it got bad. And it's worse today. I should be able to get it scanned tomorrow. That will give me a place to start. Some guy I spoke to are leaning to word coils... For guy at stealers hip told me nothing but ford plugs work well in their engines- he did say it was likely northerner cause of my current problems but i still found it hard to believe.

If I try to rev it out at all I get the CEL blinking..

If I had more time I would try putting the old plugs back it it just for sh@ts and giggles, but that ales enough time that I'll wait to see what codes she's throwing.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:19 AM

Ok plugs are changed. Im predicting coil packs.

That would be easy enough to fix and requires no more chasing. Just hope one or two are bad. I never got the CEL for misfires due to plugs but a bad COP may do that.

If that is not the issue id start with fuel supply and intake/maf cleaning. Good luck
Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 PM

I had meant to say that 'a guy from the stealership' told me to use only Ford plugs, ha ha... Auto-correct...

Most anyone I talk to are suspect of the coils. Should find out tomorrow. This could be a good excuse to do more preventative stuff (fuel filters ect...). last ford i worked on at all Was an 89 mustang (just the four banger) when i was 17. Things have changed, lol.

I'll keep ya posted.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:18 PM

Got ahold of a scan tool today - cel told me that #6 was misfiring. I pulled the boot off of that one and switched coil packs (so if the boot replacement didnt work I could see if the misfire followed that coil pack) and voila! No more misfire!

Quick Reply: 03 F150 jerking while going uphill or inclining?