Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Buzzer Not Loud Enough

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:48 PM
Old Timer Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Turn Signal Buzzer Not Loud Enough

My '90 F150 (4.9 liter 6; 5 speed) Custom doesn't make enough noise when the turn signal is on for me to hear it. I've checked around parts houses to see if there is a flasher unit that makes more noise only to learn there aren't any. (If you know of one I'd appreciate hearing about it.) I've been stopped by a LEO for driving down the road with my turn signal flashing because I'm not aware that it's on. The little light is below my normal line of vision, is too small, and the tick of the flasher is not loud enough to overcome noise in the cab. I'd like to fix this.

Lately I've been playing around with some minor electronics projects and ran across a supply of 100db buzzers that run on 12VDC. They are meant for breadboard projects. I think that if I can find the wire that powers the turn signal lights I can splice a buzzer into it. I really don't know where to start on this. My guess is that I can put a probe on the wires until I find one that lights when the signal is blinking to identify which wire to splice into. Because there are left and right turn signal lights, I'm guessing that I'll probably find 2 wires and need 2 buzzers.

It would be great if I could find a pic of the wiring that identifies the wire or wires that I need to tap into.

Can anyone give me any guidance on this? Should I put a relay or fuse between the wire splice and the buzzer?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:13 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

If your hearing and your vision is that bad, do you think you should be occupying public roads with a 2 ton+ machine?

On another note you should buy a 2013 truck like mine, that effing clicker turn signal is loud as hell. Drives me up a wall it's so loud and I have documented hearing loss. "CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK .

Last edited by RLXXI; 07-20-2018 at 11:22 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RLXXI:
Guitstik Kustoms (05-12-2020), rabbithutch (12-13-2019), Roget (01-13-2020), WalterMelons (10-04-2020)
Old 07-21-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbithutch
I've checked around parts houses to see if there is a flasher unit that makes more noise only to learn there aren't any.
Yes, there are. They're called "solid-state" or "electronic" flashers.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
The little light is below my normal line of vision, is too small...
Have you tried replacing its bulb? Even if it still lights up, it may be so heavily electroplated that it's too dim.

(phone app link)

The only tricky steps are removing the headlight **** & disconnecting the speedo cable, but both are actually very easy when you know how.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

You can swap most of the illumination & indicator bulbs to LED, but NOT the charging indicator (battery icon).
...the tick of the flasher is not loud enough to overcome noise in the cab. I'd like to fix this.
Turn the radio down.
...100db buzzers that run on 12VDC.
100dB is VERY loud.
My guess is that I can put a probe on the wires until I find one that lights when the signal is blinking to identify which wire to splice into.
Why not just solder splice onto the instrument cluster at each turn indicator bulb?
It would be great if I could find a pic of the wiring that identifies the wire or wires that I need to tap into.
This site requires an e-mail for access, but it doesn't have to be your real one:
http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html
Switch to WIRING DIAGRAMS when you see that button.
Can anyone give me any guidance on this?
Forget the buzzer idea. Just put in an electronic flasher. If yours is remote-mounted in the dash (versus the common location in the fuse box), move it closer to the instrument cluster. You could do that, anyway, by adding some wires.
Should I put a relay or fuse between the wire splice and the buzzer?
Not necessary.

Last edited by Steve83; 07-21-2018 at 01:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rabbithutch (12-13-2019)
Old 07-22-2018, 11:53 AM
Old Timer Junior Member

I was hoping you would see my post and answer it, Steve! Thank you!

Your information is great and just what I was looking for. The problem is not that I'm playing the radio. It's not working just now but that's another story and to do with the radio, not the truck.

We are having our typical Texas mid-summer triple digit temperature run - expected to hit 110°F today or tomorrow - so I will postpone pulling the instrument cluster for a few days until it cools off a bit. I hadn't thought about the flasher bulbs being dimmed down, but given that it's almost a 30 year old truck, it makes sense.

I especially appreciate the information about removing the speedo cable and the headlight switch. If I understood the instructions on the switch I need to pull the tab and the switch toward the inside of the cab, right?

I'm gonna look into those electronic flashers, too.

Thanks again!

btw: Is that a Honda Accord in your avatar? If so, what year?
Old 07-22-2018, 02:45 PM

'94 CV w/'00 4.6L & '99 P71 PCM
https://www.supermotors.net/registry/6098#album
rabbithutch (07-23-2018)
Old 12-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Old Timer Junior Member

Thanks, Steve83!

I bought a flasher from Amazon that you recommended and finally remembered to install it today. It is plenty loud. The old flasher could barely be heard even with the windows up, at night, in a parking lot with not traffic around. These new ones can be heard easily in traffic with windows down.

Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2020, 10:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice when a problem is finally solved
Old 05-11-2020, 12:33 AM

How many ancient threads are you going to dredge up with pointless replies?
Guitstik Kustoms (05-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Buzzer Not Loud Enough