Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple, inexpensive, bed mount, bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Simple, inexpensive, bed mount, bike rack

I wanted a cost effective bed mount bike rack for my short bed (5 ½') F150. After spending a great deal of time looking for one on the market, I gave up and made my own. With a short bed, my only option is a fork mount design since any adult size bike is too long to fit in the bed with the front wheel attached.

The mounts are affordable. There are lots of options. I got two Hollywood T970s for $17.99 each. Now I just needed to find a way to mount them. Not wanting to drill any holes, I added a galvanized angle bracket behind the two tie down loops in the front sides of the bed and mounted a pressure treated 2 x 4 between the brackets using lag bolts from underneath.

It works great. The bikes sit pretty low in the bed, not like the Swagman rack that mounts on the top of the side rails. I still even have use of the tie down rings. The total parts cost was under $50.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jimblackjim:
dirtyfingers (05-19-2017), rustygray (05-16-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea!

I might try something similar with my '04 Heritage, but make the bar out of aluminum square tube.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I've got something similar in my short bed. I just put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the floor of the bed, across the front with the fork mounts attached to the top. I shoved both mounts to one side so I still have the majority of the bed for other camping gear. I kept my mounts on the floor because I have a cap.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pugga
I've got something similar in my short bed. I just put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the floor of the bed, across the front with the fork mounts attached to the top. I shoved both mounts to one side so I still have the majority of the bed for other camping gear. I kept my mounts on the floor because I have a cap.
Sounds like a good plan. Is the plywood secured in any way?
Old 08-19-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimblackjim
Sounds like a good plan. Is the plywood secured in any way?
It's fitted side to side and fits tight against the front of the bed. I usually put my tool box on the plywood and it keeps it from sliding around. The box weighs about 100 lbs and is secured with it downs. I also have a rubber mat so that helps keep things in place as wel.

Quick Reply: Simple, inexpensive, bed mount, bike rack