Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short bed swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short bed swap?

I have a 77 short box with a severe case of cancer. Too far gone to fix. As everyone here probably knows these boxes are hard to come by and super expensive so I am exploring options here. I have found a 96 short box that’s in great shape and pretty cheap. The length, width and height are exactly the same however the cab degree listing for a 77 is 11 and for a 96 it is listed as 6. Frankly I don’t really know what that even means. Does anyone know if I could make the 96 box fit on the 77? Of course I know the body lines will be different. I’m looking for function here and not overly concerned about matching body lines. Any experience here or wise words appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by JasonT; 11-01-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Bronco II Nut

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't see why it wouldn't fit. both are 6' beds, both have the wheel arch centered on the bedside. frame width may be different, but since the beds bolt down on braces running side to side, you may just have to drill some new holes. post pics when done, i love "platypus" rigs.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I would say that its refering to the angle of the cab back degree being different thus causing a wedge shape clearance between cab and bed.
Buy yourself a magnetic compas protractor and check the angle of your cab back vs your new bed angle, you may have to do some math if both trucks are at different angles while setting. You can get the protractor at most any big box that has tools and under 10.00 plus there quite useful to have for a number of projects.

Quick Reply: Short bed swap?