Seeking advice on vacuum/pcv routing for my turbo setup - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.

Seeking advice on vacuum/pcv routing for my turbo setup

Old 02-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #1

Default Seeking advice on vacuum/pcv routing for my turbo setup

I'm wrestling with the possible options of how to properly vent my crankcase with my setup. The motor is a 2006 5.4 3v with a gt35 turbo. Ive tried check valves, catch cans, plugging the driver's side intake nipple and running a breather on the driver's side valve cover nipple. I've tried putting a check valve in line from the driver's side valve cover to prevent boost from pressurising the crankcase (I know I have a pcv valve under the cover but didn't want to rely on it to keep out 8-10 lbs of boost. These are just some of the methods I've tried. Either way I have quite a bit of blow by and all circumstances either lead to oil being spread throughout my engine bay or suspected improper crankcase ventilation. I also suspect I'm getting high crankcase pressure because my oil return for my turbo I suspect is filling up with oil because I've already blown the seals on my first turbo. Any ideas or prior experience with this particular situation would be greatly appreciated.
Bkaiser8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
Senile member

Have you considered a vacuum pump?

Make sure there's no breather line to the post-turbo intake pipes that is feeding the engine....PCV vents should all be pre-turbo intake.
chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimmike View Post
Have you considered a vacuum pump?

Make sure there's no breather line to the post-turbo intake pipes that is feeding the engine....PCV vents should all be pre-turbo intake.
I'm just running a cone filter right off of the compressor side of the turbo. Do I need to fit a piece of pipe between the filter and turbo or is their other options to solve my problems? If I did a pre turbo pcv setup I would be worried about the engine "mist" throwing off my air fuel ratio and also reducing the octane rating of my air fuel mix leaving my engine more susceptible to detonation.

Last edited by Bkaiser8811; 02-10-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Bkaiser8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
Senile member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkaiser8811 View Post
I'm just running a cone filter right off of the compressor side of the turbo. Do I need to fit a piece of pipe between the filter and turbo or is their other options to solve my problems? If I did a pre turbo pcv setup I would be worried about the engine "mist" throwing off my air fuel ratio and also reducing the octane rating of my air fuel mix leaving my engine more susceptible to detonation.
oh yeah. You can't be feeding the PCV system with any post-turbo hoses.

Optimally you should run a couple hard pipes off the turbos with your PCV breathers off them, between the filter and the turbo intake.

Run the catch-can system between that. This way the PCV system gets vac all the time. The way you have it now, you are pressurizing the PCV because those check valves can't handle it, and a catch can isn't meant to vent boost.
chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote