Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio relocation, 73-79 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 10:06 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Radio relocation, 73-79 F-150

I'm currently exploring the idea of swapping/repositioning a new single din radio into the heater control area and was wondering if anyone has swapped/relocated the locations of their radio into the location of the heat/defrost ? Kinda looks like a do-able project dimension wise, just curious.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't seem to find my pictures at the moment, but my step dad and I had a '78 which we built a custom console to sit on the transmission hump and relocated the radio down to the very top of it right under the dash. Worked out pretty well. We had to of course extend out the wires from the radio down to where the new radio sat, but after it was done, it looked pdg. We at first thought about putting it in the heater control area, but of course wanted to fully retain the controls.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:35 AM

Thanks on the reply. I had thought about a console but have a 4 speed that severely interfered.
Had it figured out and even had cut and refit the sub frame behind the bezel thats when the picture became clear that it would be a real project if i had to remove radio with the heat controls under it.Back to sq one, i put it back in its stock location. Its a retro unit that really wasn't made for a plug and play anyhow, i was in process of creating a monster for myself or someone else someday down the road.Just not a whole lot you can do to customizd it other than leave it the custom that it is. Besides its not your everyday F series (F-350) cab and chsssis shortbed dually. May possibly put on super single rear tires to replace the duals, saw them on a C? Bowtie flatbed in Boyne City and thought it'd look good on mine. Already up to 7K on my resto and not sure how far is far enough, I'm sure my wife will be chiming in soon though, my only defence is that but dear i can fix anything on this one as she has seen with my resto that I'll have on the road as soon as the snow goes... April i hope!Have a good one

1984, fabing a new bed to factory size specs
Just starting my full cab off resto Jan 2017
Old 04-02-2019, 10:46 AM

This is what makes this Ford guys heartbeat!

A pair three of a kind can't beat!
Old 04-02-2019, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very true. I would not see why it would cause an issue on relocating the radio to the heater controls. Figure out some way to move the controls up to where the radio sits, or even drop them to below the dash with a custom built housing for the the heater controls

Quick Reply: Radio relocation, 73-79 F-150