Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting chrome trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting chrome trim

Going to paint the chrome side trim on my ‘13 platinum. Don’t know much about painting but from my research Im going to rough up the chrome with some 80 grit, then prime a few coats with an epoxy primer, sand again with a 220, then hit with multiple coats of base paint then clear coat. Does anyone have any other suggestions/tips/techniques on how to go about this? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure if you have done this yet, but you can do this much easier with Plasti-dip. Just use blue tape and paper to cover the truck so you don't get over spray on it. I blacked out all my logos on my truck this way. Works great. Be sure you do it in very thin layers, especially on the first layer. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-D...03-6/100131010
Old 04-05-2019, 11:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Reffy85
Going to paint the chrome side trim on my ‘13 platinum. Don’t know much about painting but from my research Im going to rough up the chrome with some 80 grit, then prime a few coats with an epoxy primer, sand again with a 220, then hit with multiple coats of base paint then clear coat. Does anyone have any other suggestions/tips/techniques on how to go about this? Thanks in advance!
i did my emblems the same way sanded the chrome but with 180 grit, then adhesion promoter, primer, top coat and clear coat. It’s been a year since I’ve done them multiple trips through car washes and 20k miles later they look like the day I done them.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to do all of the above but most missed this step. You need to first prime it etched primer. So do sand Clean, adhesion promoter (I use Sem) etched primer, reg auto primer then paint. Should be over 70 deg REMEMBER CLEAN good.
The following users liked this post:
Collier1388 (11-27-2021)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best paint for chrome

Correct prep is always the key for adhesion. The most durable quality performing coating I’ve found is Cerakote. A Ceramic coating that Is ciured at low enough temps every plastic from auto trim to Oakley sunglasses . Cerakote.com

Quick Reply: Painting chrome trim