Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Seat Installation--Need help with wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Seat Installation--Need help with wiring

I purchased 10 way powered climate controlled seats from a 2011 F150 lariat. I have installed them in my 1989 F250, and have the wiring figured out for the 10way power. Now, I am trying to wire the climate control so I can have the heated/cooled seats working as well. I have this diagram: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/D...dPdf?id=878574
but I wasn't sure if I need anything else to make them work. I want to wire in a 12v switch or two(one for hot,one for cold), but I am not sure if that is all I need to do to make it work. I don't want to damage the Thermo-Electric Device by just wiring it straight to a 12v if I need to regulate the power.
Any ideas?
Old 01-11-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Jenkins
I purchased 10 way powered climate controlled seats from a 2011 F150 lariat. I have installed them in my 1989 F250, and have the wiring figured out for the 10way power. Now, I am trying to wire the climate control so I can have the heated/cooled seats working as well. I have this diagram: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/D...dPdf?id=878574
but I wasn't sure if I need anything else to make them work. I want to wire in a 12v switch or two(one for hot,one for cold), but I am not sure if that is all I need to do to make it work. I don't want to damage the Thermo-Electric Device by just wiring it straight to a 12v if I need to regulate the power.
Any ideas?
Each driver and front passenger seat cushion and backrest is equipped with a Thermo-Electric Device (TED) and blower motor assembly. Applying voltage to the TED in one direction causes it to heat. Applying voltage polarity in the opposite direction causes the TED to cool. Cabin air is drawn through the blower and distributed to each of the TED modules located in the seat cushion and backrest. The TEDs then heat or cool the incoming air depending on the control switch settings. The air is then directed into the foam pad and manifold where it is distributed along the surface of the cushion and backrest of the seat. Once activated, the DCSM maintains the heating/cooling modes until deactivated.

I can't confirm if it is direct 12v but logic would say yes.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp

I can't confirm if it is direct 12v but logic would say yes.
I tend to agree that it is probably 12V, but my concern is the variable temperature that you have on most heated seats. Usually there is a high/low setting, or even high/medium/low. How does the TED determine what setting, if it doesn't have a voltage regulator or some type of thermostat wired in?

Also, any idea how to tell which way to wire it for heating versus cooling?

Jason
Old 01-12-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Jenkins
I tend to agree that it is probably 12V, but my concern is the variable temperature that you have on most heated seats. Usually there is a high/low setting, or even high/medium/low. How does the TED determine what setting, if it doesn't have a voltage regulator or some type of thermostat wired in?

Also, any idea how to tell which way to wire it for heating versus cooling?

Jason
From the shop manual:

The climate control seat system is able to heat and cool the driver and front passenger seats. Each climate controlled seat is operated by push-buttons on the Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) located on the instrument panel. Each front seat temperature is then monitored and controlled by the Dual Climate Controlled Seat Module (DCSM) located on the passenger front seat track.

The climate controlled seat system contains the following serviceable components:
  • Air filter (attached to each Thermo-Electric Device (TED) and blower assembly) (See the Owner's Literature for additional service and scheduled maintenance interval information)
  • Cushion and backrest foam pads
  • Cushion and backrest manifolds
  • DCSM attached to the passenger seat track
  • Front Display Interface Module (FDIM)
  • HVAC module
  • TED and blower assembly within each front seat cushion and backrest
  • Ventilated cushion and backrest trim covers

Best guess is you would only be able to go full heat and full cool without having the control modules that regulate it. No idea what polarity direction does what, try it one way and feel it would seem logical.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

If I have time, I will be disconnecting my '13 10 way seat harness on Sunday to adjust the seat padding. I can do some quick voltage checks if you want. Do you know which color wires you need me to test? PM me if I don't respond here.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:56 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

According to the 2011 manual, there are two varieties. Here is one of them. There are also OBD2 bus connections but those are irrelevant to our discussion.

Last edited by Feathermerchant; 01-31-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:54 AM

Reopening a very old thread. Did anyone ever figure this out?
Old 03-11-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

A local friend did it in a ~'98 truck, but I didn't help or see the wiring. Why are you asking?
Old 03-12-2018, 02:12 AM

I've put 2012 F150 seats in my 97 F350. They have the heat/cool option but I was unable to figure out the wiring. If you could help me get in touch with that guy I would really appreciate it!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

He's not as active on the internet as I am, but I'll send him the link to this thread. He might sign up here & reply, but I doubt it.

How much of the donor truck's wiring & modules did you get? Do you have the seat module to control the TEDs, or the HVAC module to communicate with the seat module? Or are you trying to direct-wire the TEDs without any modules? Have you looked up the donor truck's wiring at http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html ?

Quick Reply: Custom Seat Installation--Need help with wiring