Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block heater cord retractor

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Block heater cord retractor

Okay all you MacGyvers out there. Its block heater time again. A genius needs to make a retractable cord reel that's inside the engine bay etc that your block heater cord plugs into. That you can just extend out the cord to plug in the F150 without needing an extension cord all the time. 15-20 feet max would suffice for pull out and retract. A smaller version of the 50 footers I see all the time for use in shops. Like the one below only the plugs reversed. So the male is the extension out
Attached Thumbnails Block heater cord retractor-cord-reel.jpg  
Old 11-13-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

I actually had the same thought earlier today. However I don't think I'll use the block heater enough to justify trying to cram one of these into the engine bay. Also, it would suck if the reel malfunctions leaving a 15' cord hanging out of your truck lol.

Reversing the plugs on the reel is easy; finding a place for it in the truck is the hard part. The problem is the reel's diameter. If the spool were wider then the diameter it could be made much smaller and mounted like a winch.
Another option is to mount it in the bed and run an extension cord up to the block heater. With some creative rigging it could also be made to serve dual purpose.

[edit] Another thought... you might be able harvest a compact cord reel out of an old vacuum cleaner.

[edit 2] http://www.retractable-extension-cor...cle-mount.html

Last edited by kobayashi maru; 11-13-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Darn. I even searched it and found nothing
Old 02-21-2015, 10:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an interesting idea, I guess I'd be worried about debris/corrosion inside the retraction casing. Those retractable reels are great in the garage, where they're mounted on walls/ceilings, & no debris is a concern. On a vehicle, under a hood, etc., I think is an invite for problems. Good idea, just something I'd consider.

Switching the receptacle ends would be very simple. Also, a creative outlet mount that was perpendicular with the vehicle's front, could be designed to release when the vehicle is driven away, and would self retract. Not something I'd exercise as a norm, but in the event that "the wife" forgets to unplug lol.....

Quick Reply: Block heater cord retractor