Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 manual swap

I want to manual swap a 2013 f150 but I want to maintain the 4x4 capability. Would it just be as simple as mounting up the manual trans, fabing up a new mount for the transfer case, and getting custom drive shafts.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:27 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

No. The PCM is programmed to control the transmission. If it detects a problem (like ALL the wires seem to be cut or unplugged), it will limit engine performance, and store lots of fault codes. If you want a stickshift truck, buy one.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

You might could get a custom PCM from an aftermarket mfg for a manual trans. I know Power By The Hour has manual control packs for 5.0L coyote engine swaps with manual trans. So you would essentially just replace the harness and controller in your truck with that and hope it worked. Or have a similar company make a custom outfit to allow it.

I too really want a manual trans 5.0L truck. But I haven't saved up the $10-20k or so to make it happen.
The following users liked this post:
ShadoWolf150 (01-20-2024)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:40 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

It would be a real can of worms. I suppose if time and money aren't significant issues then anything is possible. ....
Old 04-11-2019, 09:07 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

If you replace the entire PCM system with a full standalone, anything is possible.
How much money you got to burn on this project?
Old 04-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by SixShooter14
You might could get a custom PCM from an aftermarket mfg for a manual trans. I know Power By The Hour has manual control packs for 5.0L coyote engine swaps with manual trans. So you would essentially just replace the harness and controller in your truck with that and hope it worked. Or have a similar company make a custom outfit to allow it.

I too really want a manual trans 5.0L truck. But I haven't saved up the $10-20k or so to make it happen.
Do you know if I'd still be able to maintain 4wheel drove capability because I want to turn this into a Baja type truck but I still want to be able to go offroading and mudding with it
Old 04-11-2019, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike
If you replace the entire PCM system with a full standalone, anything is possible.
How much money you got to burn on this project?
I want to kinda just build it and not have the heartache of knowing how much I put into it, I plan to build it progressively but this is what I want to do first because manual is far superior in my opinion
Old 04-11-2019, 09:38 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob2
Do you know if I'd still be able to maintain 4wheel drove capability because I want to turn this into a Baja type truck but I still want to be able to go offroading and mudding with it
I can't say for sure, but I would suspect they could include 4wd. I've not delved into the programming and controls of these trucks, so I don't know what parameters control the 4wd.

Another option would be to switch to a manual transfer case and maybe manual hubs.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:52 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob2
I want to kinda just build it and not have the heartache of knowing how much I put into it, I plan to build it progressively but this is what I want to do first because manual is far superior in my opinion
Manual is more fun, auto is better. Especially off road.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike
Manual is more fun, auto is better. Especially off road.
auto is better for very steep ascents but with that said I'm not planning to use the truck for rock crawling it's going to be a Baja style truck that I can't still take on trails and to remote camping spots

Quick Reply: 4x4 manual swap