Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 F150 5.4L 2V 2WD MPG related questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F150 5.4L 2V 2WD MPG related questions.

Hi, new on here.

Just finished rebuilding my f150 motor with my dad (he is a master mechanic) used new standard oem rings since the head was all busted due to oil starvation, long story short the engine is up and running absolutely amazing smooth. All german ans u.s made parts. Iradumium spark plugs, may change injectors in the future to maximize mpg.

Regarding tires any particular brand or model that will effect mpg better?

Also if Ill do reflashing ECM Magnflow cold air with the increase of horsepower is it even possible to change the final gear maybe 2 tooths extra? (Sorry no technical numbers) something that will give me better mpg, I use truck for camping and taking bikes to race track max load I'll use is 3000lbs. Also will change gear oil with syn. Electric fan also something to consider? I drive super smooth with light foot. Oil i use and be using is 5w20 mobil one.

Haven't broken in the engine yet, juts trying to get an idea if possible for better mpg otherwise it's all good I can live with 15mpg avg, love this truck and planing on keeping it longer than I can see ahead.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:27 PM
Lost in Time

Received 213 Likes on 98 Posts

Building rear gears and tune specifically for mileage will see a available torque suffer, what is you’re #1 priority?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:32 PM
Lost in Time

Received 213 Likes on 98 Posts

You may also look to get this moved to the performance section, should find more help there.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
Building rear gears and tune specifically for mileage will see a available torque suffer, what is you’re #1 priority?
mainly better mpg i wont be hualing more than 500 to 1000lbs, mostly empty bed. Once year up to 3k lbs haul. But anything for mpg not sure if its even possible with final gear, dad is saying its the largest final gear there is. Thanks
Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

using differential gears that keep you in the lowest possible rpm at cruise will maximize mpg (if the motor isn't having to hunt gears all the time). Any time you can open up the intake and exhaust, and get a specific tune for 87 which maximizes fuel use, can always result in better mpg with the right driving technique. Good synthetic oil, new trans and diff fluids (synthetic), good tires like Michelin LTX M/S aired up to 40-45psi or so, keeping the truck clean/waxed. Good/new spark plugs gapped per factory specs. Coolant flush. All these things can help mpg. Electric fan will definitely help...anything you can remove from being crankshaft-driven can improve efficiency. New/more efficient alternator. Replace tensioner pulley. Convert to electric power steering? (extreme, but can improve mpg for sure).

non-mechanics wise; eliminate all unnecessary weight in the truck. Back seat you never use? yank those out. don't carry unnecessary stuff in the bed of the truck. etc.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

By the numbers, 3.55:1 is about perfect for the 5.4. 3.31:1 would bias it a little more towards highway use.