Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You think your 150 is poorly built?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Default You think your 150 is poorly built?

Check out this story. 1 MILLION Ram and Dodge trucks and SUVs are being investigated for rolling away while in park. Same issues that killed Star Trek Anton Yelchin who was killed when his Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled away, pinning him against a fence.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/auto...y-risk-n698296

My mother-in-law's 1996 Sebring Convertible had the same issue. She was knocked over by the car door when it rolled on a slight hill once. I took it in 7 times for the Chrysler recall but it never was fixed. To be exact, the fix would let you start the car without stepping on brake. Chrysler (Dodge/Ram) never could repair it.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:22 PM

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

I think there's like 43 cases of this or something. I'd guess user error plays a large part since it's drastically different than a normal shifter.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 155 Likes on 62 Posts

Come on now, that doesn't mean they're poorly built. More than likely it just means that the owners don't understand how to use their shifters. Same thing happened to Toyota a few years ago with the unfounded unintended acceleration claim.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

My 2013 f150 rolled on me twice. It in put it in park and was getting my things together to get out and dman truck rolled back. I quickly pushed the breaks. I checked my shifter and it was in park. I let go of the breaks and it would roll. I restarted the truck and made sure it was in park. Put it in D to move it back, shifted to P and didnt roll. Took it in to get checked out and ford service said they couldn't find anything wrong. Needless to say i traded that crappy f150 after that. I had the dead battery thing go about 5 times but the rolling in park did it for me.

Last edited by 2quik; 12-20-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:40 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

We were required to chock all vehicles back in my oil patch days.

Had hoped the problem would be solved by now.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:01 AM

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't forget that the Ram cabs crumble in an accident...........

The following users liked this post:
Kenferg1 (12-22-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 12:20 AM
Ford Truck Lover

Received 748 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by BShadows
I think there's like 43 cases of this or something. I'd guess user error plays a large part since it's drastically different than a normal shifter.
Ford started using these dials in the 2017 Fusion. Difference? They autmatically shift into park if you shut the vehicle off. I am guessing FCA didn't include a safety feature like that.

Also, the Toyota acceleration thing was real, though it may not have been S/W related as some claimed.
The following users liked this post:
freman dave (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 AM
Captain Stringer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BShadows
As someone who has a 2014 Ram 1500 with this shifter, I can attest to how easy it is to get out with the truck not in park... especially when I first got it. The truck is supposed to automatically go into park however, which it has on the select few times I got out and didn't realize the truck was not completely in park yet.

My biggest issue is that the shifter dial is next to the blower control. There have been two occasions where I was driving and reached over to adjust the blower but instead took my truck from drive to reverse - while driving at speeds of around 70 MPH on the Interstate. Luckily the truck did not engage in reverse in which I believe and hope Ram programmed the computer to not do so over a certain speed lol. Even still, it sure gave me a mini heart attack when I realized what I had done and thought I was going to end up either wrecking or blowing my tranny out.

This next month can't come fast enough so I can get out of this thing and back into a Ford.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:08 AM
Ford Truck Lover

Received 748 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by stringer
As someone who has a 2014 Ram 1500 with this shifter, I can attest to how easy it is to get out with the truck not in park... especially when I first got it. The truck is supposed to automatically go into park however, which it has on the select few times I got out and didn't realize the truck was not completely in park yet.

My biggest issue is that the shifter dial is next to the blower control. There have been two occasions where I was driving and reached over to adjust the blower but instead took my truck from drive to reverse - while driving at speeds of around 70 MPH on the Interstate. Luckily the truck did not engage in reverse in which I believe and hope Ram programmed the computer to not do so over a certain speed lol. Even still, it sure gave me a mini heart attack when I realized what I had done and thought I was going to end up either wrecking or blowing my tranny out.

This next month can't come fast enough so I can get out of this thing and back into a Ford.
Well at least it warmed you up!
Old 12-21-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWolfTrucker
Ford started using these dials in the 2017 Fusion. Difference? They autmatically shift into park if you shut the vehicle off. I am guessing FCA didn't include a safety feature like that.

Also, the Toyota acceleration thing was real, though it may not have been S/W related as some claimed.
Do most newer cars with normal gear selectors automatically switch to park if you turn it off if you left it in drive?

Originally Posted by stringer

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you hate about your Ram? What makes the Ford, to you, a better truck?

Last edited by BShadows; 12-21-2016 at 08:28 AM.