Yes or No on the 2018 V8 with Ten Speed - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck. https://bs.serving-sys.com/serving/adServer.bs?cn=display&c=19&mc=imp&pli=25114164&PluID=0&ord=%%CACHEBUSTER%%&rtu=-1&LineID=$$%%PATTERN:zip%%$$
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Would you still buy the V8 10 Speed Today?
Yes :-)
73.50%
No!
16.24%
It is a toss up...
10.26%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No on the 2018 V8 with Ten Speed

Old 06-09-2018, 07:58 PM

Default Yes or No on the 2018 V8 with Ten Speed

Please no motor debates as there are so many of those and not what I want. I am just hopeful to get true honest feedback percentages of those running around on here who are happy with the new combo or not. When I say not that means you would not make that purchase decision knowing what you know Today. I have a 2016 5.0 and love it (accept the one issue) but it is getting replaced not only are the V8s not stocked like they were 2 years ago I am worried about the clunks and noises several seem to be experiencing. Please if you are just going to talk 3.5 this isn't the thread. I want real life comments experiences from those driving this combo today...is it so bad you wished you didn't or is it mostly okay accept....
Old 06-09-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by BadBoy4fun_wa View Post
Please no motor debates as there are so many of those and not what I want. I am just hopeful to get true honest feedback percentages of those running around on here who are happy with the new combo or not. When I say not that means you would not make that purchase decision knowing what you know Today. I have a 2016 5.0 and love it (accept the one issue) but it is getting replaced not only are the V8s not stocked like they were 2 years ago I am worried about the clunks and noises several seem to be experiencing. Please if you are just going to talk 3.5 this isn't the thread. I want real life comments experiences from those driving this combo today...is it so bad you wished you didn't or is it mostly okay accept....
I'm curious...what's the issue with your 16 5.0?

I've been looking at having my 16 replaced through arbitration due to a number of the issues I've been having with mine. I might be a sucker...but the dual injection 5.0 is hard to resist....combined with a close ratio 10 speed...it seems like the perfect combo for that motor. That being said, from what I've seen there have been a few very low mileage 18 5.0's that have dropped valves. There still sounds like there may be issues with the VCT systems, the transmissions seem to still have a lot of bugs to work out. The high pressure fuel pumps are noisy too...and I know everyone says they're supposed to be but like anything that's driven off the timing chain, it will be extremely expensive to fix when it goes out. The more I read about the 2018's, the more I'm ready to either wait until the bugs are worked out or look at a different manufacturer. Sorry to post since I'm not a current 18 5.0 owner, but I'm in the same boat and was curious what's up with yours and what others say about their 18's.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:56 PM

My 2018 ten speed 5.0 is nothing but impressive and comes highly recommended. I recommend that you test drive one and experience for yourself. Don't let the site negativity cloud your thought process.

BTW my truck was built March 20th.

Last edited by 1sharphook; 06-10-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: add date
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1sharphook For This Useful Post:
BadBoy4fun_wa (06-09-2018), Griffbones (06-13-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 09:19 PM

If you want a silent and proven chassis, keep your 16. If you want a more powerful, but more quirky and noisy motor. Trade up. As of now I regret getting rid of my 2011 based on the "characteristics of the vehicle" claims ford has on all the clunks and rattles on my 2018.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:23 PM

Yes
The Following User Says Thank You to Brand For This Useful Post:
BadBoy4fun_wa (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 09:28 PM

my 2016 has always had the Frozen Lock and Latches issue(Lemon Law/Buyback). Other then that I truly love the truck it had a couple of the manufacturing recall hick-ups. I got mad when several gallons of water leaked from Panoramic roof .... Otherwise an incredible truck.... The person who buys it will get a great truck as long as they live in the south!

Thanks in terms of your good experience. I started thread because I have a good friend who isn't happy at all. I want to read what others have to say here and I will get the dealer to give me 3.5 and 5.0 for over night to drive for a day or two. I will also go for ride and have friend show me what is happening in his. He mostly has people with him and often they comment about the noises. It sounds like he has both the throttle body hiss whatever and the transmission clunks rattle.

Last edited by BadBoy4fun_wa; 06-09-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:25 PM

I also vote yes on the 2018 3.5 10 speed.
The Following User Says Thank You to UncleG For This Useful Post:
BadBoy4fun_wa (06-09-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 12:58 AM

I really do not like it........I always tell my wife when we see an old steel truck (pre'15), I would trade that guy straight up. My very first new car was a Ford in 1989. It was a lemon! I stayed away for a long time because of the way Ford treated me way back when. So, I have always been looking over my shoulder at the ghost of that bad experience just waiting for the next one. Maybe it's not bad but in my experience something that makes that much noise isn't going to last. This is supposed to be my keep it for ten years truck and right now I just can't see that happening. How can a company with all the R&D at their disposal accept the result of this transmission. Does it function? Yep. Does it save me that much gas? Nope. When someone is buying a V8 truck they aren't exactly worried about gas mileage. But for an engineer to say that amount of noise is acceptable????? They must really be out of touch with what the consumer wants. The truck cannot make up it's mind which gear it wants to be in. It is slow to react when you want to go and it will let you know that it doesn't like it with a nice clunking downshift. In a parking lot in first gear if you let off the gas it keeps going like a manual trans. My 5.0 pings like a SOB if I run regular unleaded. My wife drives it mostly. She doesn't pay attention to that kind of stuff and even she came home and said it makes a hard clunk sometimes. Fingers crossed she holds up. I sure miss my '13. In the end it works. The way I would like? No. But to each his own....maybe you can drive your buddies truck around for a day. I know the Focus and Fiesta is totally different with the CVT but Ford said those noises were normal as well and here we stand on the other side of that fiasco. I had a 2014 Focus and every time I took it to the dealer with trans complaints it was "normal". Do a quick google search of the focus trans. It's not good. Luckily mine was a lease. My buddy finally got them to buy his back. I know it's slightly off topic but I think it speaks to the fact that Ford is pretty good at deny deny deny until you have to buy it back. For some reason Ford just can't seem to make a good trans anymore. The six speed auto had issues but nothing major. At least I wasn't worried about it at 1000 miles. I just fear that in three years these "normal sounds " Aren't going to turn out to be not so normal after all.
The Following User Says Thank You to rbail1 For This Useful Post:
BadBoy4fun_wa (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Save the Manuals!

Mine has been great so far. I've had it 4 months and 3k miles and while I do have the clunk on restarting a hot engine I haven't noticed any odd transmission behavior. The first 500 miles did feel off but I attributed that to learning. Its been super smooth shifting and very quiet since. I do have that clicking noise others complain about when you let off the throttle but its not bad and it sounds like a software issue from what folks are saying in other threads on that issue.

Bottom line is this truck is far superior to my 2015 with the 2.7
The Following User Says Thank You to gatorblue92 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 08:27 AM

IMO: If you look at archives you will find a similar range and quantity of reported issues on older models and other brands on their forums. I believe the year over year sales data to be a more valid reference than a forum poll, and the data is pretty clear.

How soon we forget things like spark plug threads on the 5.4 or recalls for leaking brake pressure sensors causing trucks to burn sitting in the garage.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinatlanta For This Useful Post:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yes or No on the 2018 V8 with Ten Speed

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: