Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yakima or Thule roof tracks install with pano-roof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 06:40 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Yakima or Thule roof tracks install with pano-roof?

Has anyone installed Thule or Yakima tracks in their panoramic-roof truck? Something like this:
https://www.rackattack.com/car-rack-...4dr-super-cab/

I'm thinking of having this done on my truck so that I can carry my kayaks while camping. Unfortunately the kayaks don't fit in my travel trailer nor in my 5.5' bed, so we haven't been able to bring them along with us on our camping trips. I already have all the other Yakima pieces, just need to get the tracks installed, and I'm looking for feedback from other users.

Otherwise, I'll just get the clamp-on yakima towers, which I'd prefer to avoid as Yakima doesn't make Q-tower clips for the 2015+ F150, so that means I'd need to buy their new Baseline towers.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:52 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

I looked at both and laughed at how expensive they are. I have a bunch of wood I'm going to cut up and bolt together to make my own rack that I can strap down into the bed, all for the cost of whatever the bolts end up costing me...

I just have to make a small extension over the cab and make it tall enough so the tip of the canoe doesn't smash into my moonroof lol
Old 07-17-2018, 10:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've looked but was mainly looking at the Rhino Rack bars myself. Typically a vehicle with a sunroof is a bit more rigid then one without.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm very surprised Ford doesn't offer roof rails as a standard option, esp. for short bed owners.

Only pause I had when the RackAttack guys described the installation process was they have to drill about 8 holes through your "outer shell" of aluminum per side. They don't mess with the headliner from inside as they use some fastener that can be installed blind, but still gave me long term concerns on leakage/maintenance of it. Holding off until I really NEED the rack vs. a nice-to-have flexible option.

Bed towers don't work - kayaks extend too far back and hit the front of the camper trailer. Simple roof rails? Really Ford - nothing??
Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by johninwi
I'm very surprised Ford doesn't offer roof rails as a standard option, esp. for short bed owners.

Only pause I had when the RackAttack guys described the installation process was they have to drill about 8 holes through your "outer shell" of aluminum per side. They don't mess with the headliner from inside as they use some fastener that can be installed blind, but still gave me long term concerns on leakage/maintenance of it. Holding off until I really NEED the rack vs. a nice-to-have flexible option.

Bed towers don't work - kayaks extend too far back and hit the front of the camper trailer. Simple roof rails? Really Ford - nothing??
m

im just putting the clamp on style on mine. Doin research they hold about the same weight as a vehicle with roof rails does. 250lbs is plenty for me. That’s 2 kayaks easily. Personally I plan to put a pioneer rack with the roller edge and kayak racks mounted to it. I’ll still have 50+ lbs of leeway if needed. Nice thing is I can take everything back off in a short time.

Quick Reply: Yakima or Thule roof tracks install with pano-roof?