Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ya, another 10 spd thing

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 04:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Ya, another 10 spd thing

Hey, I haven't seen this mentioned about the 10 spd as of yet. When shifting from reverse to drive, on a couple occassions I've had a big bang as I shift into drive. I'm not one that rams it into drive as the truck still rolls backwards, although there may have been very minimal reverse travel still occurring, as in less than 1mph. I've had this happen going from drive to reverse as well however it doesn't bang but instead seems to stutter and slip.

Any thoughts or other similar situations?
Old 04-19-2019, 05:22 PM

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Stop 100% first. I don't shift while still moving. It's not a 10sp thing, it's bad for any transmission.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Exclamation

YUP! Stop completely first from backing up, shift to drive, and make sure it engages into drive. I agree 100%

Originally Posted by southchatham
Stop 100% first. I don't shift while still moving. It's not a 10sp thing, it's bad for any transmission.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:31 PM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by southchatham
Doesn't matter. No other tranny does this. It is a 10 spd thing or it's this specific tranny thing. By no means am I justifying to do this or that's it's good but to hear a bang across the parking lot from a truck going so slow that the digital speed gauge registers 0mph is a problem.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:59 PM

Received 416 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragingun
Doesn't matter. No other tranny does this. It is a 10 spd thing or it's this specific tranny thing. By no means am I justifying to do this or that's it's good but to hear a bang across the parking lot from a truck going so slow that the digital speed gauge registers 0mph is a problem.
Don't you love it when people talk to you like this is your first day driving your very first ever owned vehicle. That is exactly how the dealership talks to me when I bring my truck in for a problem.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:30 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

It's just the way the transmission is made. I'll admit to having done it myself once or twice. If you're used to the 6R80 or even moreso the E4OD/4R100 slush-boxes, you probably got in the habit of dropping it into drive when you were nearly stopped but still slightly rolling. The 10R80 doesn't like that.

Remember that the 10R80 is a *lot* more complicated. And I will say it's a little quirky, although I love how mine performs.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder why they changed a good thing? Mine will bang at times like I’ve backed into something. My 4R100 in my Lightning is flawless.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:14 AM

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

I noticed this stutter/shudder going into reverse. I just had the pcm flashed last week for the 3-5 shudder/bumpy shifts. It seems to have made my drive/reverse engagement more crisp.

Hey, I haven't seen this mentioned about the 10 spd as of yet. When shifting from reverse to drive, on a couple occassions I've had a big bang as I shift into drive. I'm not one that rams it into drive as the truck still rolls backwards, although there may have been very minimal reverse travel still occurring, as in less than 1mph. I've had this happen going from drive to reverse as well however it doesn't bang but instead seems to stutter and slip.

Any thoughts or other similar situations?
Old 04-20-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I’ve had my truck do this exact same thing on 3 occasions. I had a 2015 2.7 just like my 2018 with the 10 speed. The 2015 never did this. It’s a 10 speed problem, if it’s a problem. The first time it’s happens you will think you hit something, like a brick wall.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:07 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

Try doing it at a higher speed and see if it makes the same sound. Inquiring minds want to know if it’s speed related. Don’t really do that...

In reality, this isn’t how they are made to work. That the older transmissions tolerated the minor abuse, doesn’t automatically mean the new one not tolerating it is a defect. I think the OP described it correctly as a “thing”, since it is a characteristic.

Folks that stop fully before changing gears won’t even know.

Frankly, I’ve always been a shift to the other drive mode while still slightly rolling kinda guy myself....but I’m a quick learner and stopped doing that after hearing the 10-speed protest.

Quick Reply: Ya, another 10 spd thing