Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XLT 302A vs Lariat 502A vs KR

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XLT 302A vs Lariat 502A vs KR

I know this is probably mostly personal preference but I really need to make a decision on which trim level to go with in the next few days or my wife is going to kill me (she is sick of hearing about the differences on these trucks!) My primary motivation for getting a truck is to pull a 19' Airstream travel trailer. I would like enough payload to hook up the trailer, put four adults in the cab and still be able to use the bed for bikes, firewood and other gear. Also would be great if we get a larger trailer (25'-28') in the future to still be able to use this truck (perhaps with fewer people or gear.) The tongue weight of our trailer is 550 pounds and we could have 700-800lbs of passengers fully loaded. My hope is to find a truck with at least 1600 pounds of payload - 1800 would be even better. From looking at new 2015s at a local dealer today it seems the XLTs are in the 1800+ payload range, which would work great. I could only find Lariats with almost no options and these were also in the 1800 range. However, I suspect a Lariat 502A weights considerably more than a Lariat 500A. If anyone can share their payload on a more fully optioned Lariat that would be great.

The last truck I saw tonight was a KR with 601A package and chrome package. Payload was what I thought was a respectable 1667. I would not choose either the 601A or chrome packages so payload might be a little better.

I would also appreciate any thoughts on the XLT 302A vs the Lariat 502A vs the KR. I think I have the options for each of these memorized, but am struggling to determine if the loaded Lariat or KR are worth the $7-8k additional cost. I am going to be using this F150 as a truck. It's going to be offroad in the desert and in the mountains. It will pull a trailer and get loaded up with gear for the weekend. It's going to take some abuse and I accept that going in.

Finally, I am pretty excited about the 2017 Raptor coming out in another 18 months or so. I wish I could wait until then to find out how much payload the aluminum raptor will have, but we need a tow vehicle for the next couple summers before this is available. If the payload is improved over the 2014 raptor I may trade in whatever we get now for one of these sweet looking trucks.

Sorry for rambling and being all over the place with my thoughts. I know a lot of you have probably been in my shoes before and it would help to know your thoughts process that led to choosing your truck.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:52 AM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

You're not going to have a high payload with the raptor. It's not a truck designed for that. It's got softer suspension for off roading at a higher speed.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are certainly correct with respect to the 2014 raptors. I really wanted one fo these as live in the southwest and are surrounded by open desert. However, the payload on these are in the 1000-1100lb range and, as you mentioned, the fox shocks and suspension setup on these is not geared for towing.

My hope is (dreaming here perhaps?) the 2017 raptor with aluminum body would have 200-300lbs more payload than the outgoing raptor. I could make do with the smaller trailer if the numbers on payload work out. My preference is to have one truck, but perhaps the raptor should not be considered a truck in the traditional sense.

Originally Posted by Boosted2015
You're not going to have a high payload with the raptor. It's not a truck designed for that. It's got softer suspension for off roading at a higher speed.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:56 AM

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

I have yet to see a Raptor tow a travel trailer. I believe the heavier trailer would not make for a fun ride. Softer suspension, and some big soft tires, could make for an interesting ride.

It really is amazing how much stuff 4 people have, even just for a few day trip. I was tired of compromising. Loading the bikes into the trailer, even being selective about my rout to/from. My 2015 should be a towing beast. I opted for the HD Payload package. Perhaps something you want to consider (available on XLT and base Lariat).
Old 03-01-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw a raptor towing a 24ish long travel trailer on the interstate the other day but it was sagging pretty bad at the hitch😛 Still looked pretty good though!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

Not to avoid the question, but only you can determine if the extra cost is worth it. Functionally, they're all the same truck. Same engine, transmission, rear end, frame, and suspension. It comes down to creature comforts and styles. For me, the higher quality of the leather and overall interior was worth the price jump to the KR over the Lariat. But in my case, it was about $2,000 more after building the 2. But my truck needs are also different from yours. If I was going to off road and be rough in it, I might not have gone with a KR.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

I got the Lariat with the 502 and it weighed 2510kg, I even posted a picture of it in my intro. Totally down for personal preference if you're really concerned about the potential for towing a near capacity load than get the one better for towing, and if you're dealer has one. Otherwise go with the nicer one, you're wife will probably like the nicer stuff anyway.

Last edited by theLurker; 03-01-2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling that totally changed my meaning
Old 03-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Don't Touch the Trim

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Save your money and get the XLT. All that extra money is for add on doo-dads, gadgets and flash. It's the same truck underneath those fancy KR badges. Unless you're into that sort of thing.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

Do you want a crew cab with a 6.5' box, that's a Lariat or KR
Do you want bucket seats, that's a Lariat or KR
Do you want Leather, that's a Lariat or KR

Some of those doo-dads make sense depending on what YOU want in a truck
Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by velvet fog
Save your money and get the XLT. All that extra money is for add on doo-dads, gadgets and flash. It's the same truck underneath those fancy KR badges. Unless you're into that sort of thing.

Agreed. I bought an xlt in 2013 and have been converting it myself. Leather , oem fx4 rims etc and it looks better than most fx4s around. Got a few more appearance things to do but if you are patient you can get it done for cheaper and it can be more customized. I say go with the xlt and just upgrade yourself along the way as you figure out what more you want from it. Just my opinion. Enjoy your new truck !!!

Quick Reply: XLT 302A vs Lariat 502A vs KR