Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WWYD? First Month Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 03:32 PM

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Default WWYD? First Month Engine Trouble

Hello Everyone. This is not the way I wanted to start off on the forum, but I wanted to get some advice hopefully from some of you guys/gals that have had similar issues.

I purchased my truck on March 8th of this year, brand new, 10 miles on the clock. I drive a TON for work...probably 20k or more per year...so it didn't take me long to start piling on the miles.

I researched a lot before I bought my truck, and a big thank you to this forum for information that I found while lurking. I read about the oil consumption issues some of the 5.0's were having. However, I really wanted to go with the simplest engine possible as I drive too much to deal with major setbacks and plan to put 150k - 200k on the truck. So I bought the 5.0L and immediately checked the oil at purchase. It was at the top of the hash marks, but not up to the top hole of the dipstick. At 750 miles, I checked the oil and noticed my engine was 1 1/2 quarts low. I attributed this to break in, added oil accordingly, and went on down the road with a mental note to check into it in 1k miles.

At 1,750 miles, I checked and it was 2 quarts low. I called the dealer and they advised it was "within spec for the break in period and consumption should start to slow". I disagreed, but topped it off and continued on.

At 2,912 miles (I forgot to check it right at 2,750), I checked and it was back to 2 quarts low. I again called the dealership and set up an appointment for me to bring it in. I had to wait two weeks. When I took it into the dealer, it had exactly 3,615 miles on it and was 1 quart low sitting on their service drive.

I was informed that my truck qualified for a recent TSB Ford released and received a copy of it. Basically, it says Ford has to replace the long block in the truck. Per my dealer, this is going to take 2-3 months to complete due to wait times and red tape. At this point, I have not even made a payment on the truck (it's financed with Ford). I called Ford to request a buyback on the vehicle as it is brand new, barely a month old, and obviously has issues. I am picky I admit, but when I spend this much money I don't expect to have to drive around in a truck on it's second motor within 40 days of ownership.

Customer Care (doesn't care) gave me a case number. The next day I received a call from Ford stating that my buyback request was denied and they will only replace the motor. My dealership was surprised by this. Customer Service was beyond apathetic towards the whole situation and basically told me to kick rocks. They're supposed to call me on May 1st for an update, though I'm not sure why as my truck went into the shop on 4/16 and will not be out, or even close to out, by then.

In the meantime, the dealership has given me a loaner. However, my commute is 2 hours each way and without a toll tag, it takes even longer. In addition, I work property management and am not allowed to tow anything with the loaner, which is a real pain. In addition to that, the loaners have a 2k miles limit. When they hit that point, I have to go by the dealer and pick up a different loaner to run up miles on.

All that said, the dealership has been great for their part and are trying to offer some sort of deal to get me out of the truck I have and into something else. They are looking at possibly working a deal on a new 2018 Lariat Screw with the 2.7L engine. This would be a basic Lariat to my understanding, but still have options my XLT doesn't (leather, seat coolers, power fold mirrors, etc.). My question is kind of two fold: Have any of you been through a similar situation with Ford and how did it go? The second question is should I trade to the Lariat, or wait it out and keep my current truck instead even with the new motor?

I didn't join the forum to bash Ford....this truck is my 46th and I'm only 38 as of this past weekend. I go through A LOT of cars. But I need something dependable due to my current job and commute situation. I'm just trying to work out which would be the best path to take. At this intersection I'm currently very upset with Ford and am very disappointed with my experience.

Any comments/advice is welcomed. Thank you all!
The following users liked this post:
Gene K (08-22-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,834 Posts

ouch,

my honest opinion is i would have the truck fixed and go from there. Get a paper trail going
Old 04-23-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
ouch,

my honest opinion is i would have the truck fixed and go from there. Get a paper trail going
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm keeping track of the days out of service, etc. with my dealer. They don't want it there any more than I do since they have to keep their loaner tied up with me.

I've never had a major issue like this before, especially this quickly, so I figure I'd document everything, date and time stamp it, and see what happens.

I do worry because the 5.0L they are plugging in is the same design as the one that failed, so there's a possibility that it too may have issues. Not saying it will, and I'm hoping my odds are on my side, but it is possible.

While they have it I am also having them address the fluttering sound it has when the engine is cold and you lift off the throttle. I guess it has to do with cam phaser timing which they can adjust to get rid of.

It's a truck. I don't need it to run as smooth as a Lexus, but I DO need it to run. LOL.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,834 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bogeyman
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm keeping track of the days out of service, etc. with my dealer. They don't want it there any more than I do since they have to keep their loaner tied up with me.

I've never had a major issue like this before, especially this quickly, so I figure I'd document everything, date and time stamp it, and see what happens.

I do worry because the 5.0L they are plugging in is the same design as the one that failed, so there's a possibility that it too may have issues. Not saying it will, and I'm hoping my odds are on my side, but it is possible.

While they have it I am also having them address the fluttering sound it has when the engine is cold and you lift off the throttle. I guess it has to do with cam phaser timing which they can adjust to get rid of.

It's a truck. I don't need it to run as smooth as a Lexus, but I DO need it to run. LOL.
I know the feeling LOL, I know what you are going through. I had an issue with my truck back in august, it gets frustrating because you dont expect a newer truck to have issues but it does happen
Old 04-23-2019, 05:13 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

I had a 2002 Explorer that Ford bought back on the Lemon Law, keep track of the time in the shop, times going in for the same thing. Mine was an Transfer Case issue they didn't have a fix for and the local Ford Dealer basically gave up on Fixing it. It seems that Ford and the Dealer are making an honest attempt at fixing yours so give them a chance and go from there.
As for the 5.0 Motors all coming from the same place, it is still a big pile of parts stuck together buy a bunch of People and Machines and a simple valve seal can cause the oil usage that you are having. Ford puts a motor in yours then tears your old one down to figure out the problem and make it right on the ones they are still making and possible fix on earlier ones if it is a defect.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I had a 2002 Explorer that Ford bought back on the Lemon Law, keep track of the time in the shop, times going in for the same thing. Mine was an Transfer Case issue they didn't have a fix for and the local Ford Dealer basically gave up on Fixing it. It seems that Ford and the Dealer are making an honest attempt at fixing yours so give them a chance and go from there.
As for the 5.0 Motors all coming from the same place, it is still a big pile of parts stuck together buy a bunch of People and Machines and a simple valve seal can cause the oil usage that you are having. Ford puts a motor in yours then tears your old one down to figure out the problem and make it right on the ones they are still making and possible fix on earlier ones if it is a defect.
Thanks.

Well I got word today the new motor should arrive in about a week. Apparently there are no 5.0L engines at any Ford dealer in the Houston area per my service advisor.

Ford is being very tight lipped about what caused the failure, and that's ok. I asked out of curiosity more than anything.

Once the new block goes in I'll be sure to watch and see how it performs. Real nervous and unhappy about the whole deal honestly. It's not so much the motor as it is how many rattles, etc. the truck is going to have now that everything has been taken apart. It's usually never the same again in my experience. Hopefully this will be different.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:58 PM

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bogeyman
Thanks.

Well I got word today the new motor should arrive in about a week. Apparently there are no 5.0L engines at any Ford dealer in the Houston area per my service advisor.

Ford is being very tight lipped about what caused the failure, and that's ok. I asked out of curiosity more than anything.

Once the new block goes in I'll be sure to watch and see how it performs. Real nervous and unhappy about the whole deal honestly. It's not so much the motor as it is how many rattles, etc. the truck is going to have now that everything has been taken apart. It's usually never the same again in my experience. Hopefully this will be different.
it could be the same, or slightly better. I tend to have faith in the human race. As long as your new block doesn’t burn oil and nothing g is out of the ordinary, I wouldn’t worry too much. If sucks to be in loaners etc when all you want to do is drive you’re new truck, it will soon pass and it’ll be a memory. Here’s hoping for the best!
ClewInF150 (08-10-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 355 Likes on 201 Posts

If buyback is being denied I would let them fix it. Document EVERYTHING. If the situation doesn't improve you want as many avenues available to you as possible.

What is the build date on your truck?
ClewInF150 (08-10-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:42 PM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts

They are denying your buy back because you have not met you states lemon law criteria. Research what that is (usually 30 days out of service). Call back and request again. Prior to your call, call your service department and make sure they UPDATE YOUR SERVICE RECORDS TO SHOW CURRENT TIME OUT OF SERVICE! If they don’t, Ford will deny you (ask me how I know!)

No way I would settle for a brand new motor.

Next time buy a 3.5

Lou
The following 2 users liked this post by Sweetlou:
ClewInF150 (08-10-2019), cthusker (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:51 PM

Received 172 Likes on 136 Posts

Dealer maybe did you a favor taking it in and keeping it.
USA guys with the lemon law a few people have mentioned 30 days out of service it can qualify for lemon law or possible buy back.
I don't claim to be any expert on the lemon laws.
But it might hold Fords feet to the fire so to speak and get the replacement engine shipped out so the dealer can install it.
ClewInF150 (08-10-2019)

Quick Reply: WWYD? First Month Engine Trouble