Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW! Stock Sony sound: Late 2016 vs. previous generation

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default WOW! Stock Sony sound: Late 2016 vs. previous generation

So this is a bit of a rebuttal to the reports of the new trucks not having a great sound system compared to the previous generation Sony sound system.
I am not a certified expert on the subject, but let me give you a bit of my background so you can understand where I am coming from. The first cars I owned 20 plus years ago were never up to snuff in the sound department. I started completely rebuilding the sound systems in cars back then and I continue to do that now. When I was 22, I toured with my own IASCA pro sound car and received a number of trophies for both sound quality and installation. Every car I have ever owned has been modified to some extent as far as the sound is concerned.
My last f150, a 2011 was gutted and I replaced all of the speakers with component sets and added dynamat. I dropped two JL 10s under the seat powered by a 800 watt digital amp. I then added the Alpine add-on amplifier behind the dash. After all of that work the sound was much better. I was able to hear things in the music again the factory system was lacking. Now...fast forward to my 2016 Lariat...this week my truck is at the Roush dealer getting a Phase 1 Supercharger and exhaust added. As a result of this being a part of the purchase of the truck, my Ford dealer gave me a 2014 f250 King Ranch diesel to tool around in. It also has the vaunted previous gen Sony sound system.
I have to say I am surprised so many people feel the Stock Sony system in the 15/16s are below the standard for the previous generation. I would say the opposite is true and by a wide and fair margin. The stock sony sub is being fed 120 watts via a single dvc 8" sub. When turned up, it can sound a bit boomy, but never anemic like the previous gen did. Also the total mid and high output is similar to the previous gen, but at higher volume levels, the previous gen starts to lose it's composure. The accuracy of the mids and highs start to fade at the 20+ mark on the dial. By comparison, even at 30 on the new truck's dial...fairly solid response.
I will tell you this. No sound system will do everything you want, but the latest design with larger front speakers and the ability to play dynamically without much apparent strain really is something that is downplayed pretty heavily on this forum. I am planning to drop my 2 10s into the new truck, but I thought long and hard before I did. The stock Sony sound system is pretty impressive on it's own. Certainly more than I can say for the truck I am driving right now...
The following users liked this post:
VectorZ (09-21-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently commented on the poor sound of my July build Screw XLT, and thus I may be one of those you disagree with. But to be fair, I have the STOCK sound system, and do not know the manufacturer. I do NOT have the Sony upgrade. I do not have a subwoofer. I did note an improvement when I used Forscan to enable the 7/1 speaker system tho.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I think a lot of it depends on the quality of the media. I was really disappointed at first, because my wife's Edge sounds way better on a stock, non HD system, than my Sony HD. However, after getting to areas with HD radio signal, and higher bitrate media, I've been thoroughly impressed with the quality.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

I'm very pleased with the stock Sony system in my Lariat.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:11 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Elmote
I recently commented on the poor sound of my July build Screw XLT, and thus I may be one of those you disagree with. But to be fair, I have the STOCK sound system, and do not know the manufacturer. I do NOT have the Sony upgrade. I do not have a subwoofer. I did note an improvement when I used Forscan to enable the 7/1 speaker system tho.
I have a 302a xlt screw, with 7 speakers...

I have a 10" shallow mount Rockfor Fosgate sub and box, with a 500w Alpine amp. As well as new infinity door speakers and twwets i the mail.

I cant wait to upgrade the meh stereo in my 16 xlt. As I did in my 12 screw xlt.

Both are the Worst oem stereos, Ive ever had of any vehicles Ive owned...
Old 09-20-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 280 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Zxlr88
So this is a bit of a rebuttal to the reports of the new trucks not having a great sound system compared to the previous generation Sony sound system.
I am not a certified expert on the subject, but let me give you a bit of my background so you can understand where I am coming from. The first cars I owned 20 plus years ago were never up to snuff in the sound department. I started completely rebuilding the sound systems in cars back then and I continue to do that now. When I was 22, I toured with my own IASCA pro sound car and received a number of trophies for both sound quality and installation. Every car I have ever owned has been modified to some extent as far as the sound is concerned.
My last f150, a 2011 was gutted and I replaced all of the speakers with component sets and added dynamat. I dropped two JL 10s under the seat powered by a 800 watt digital amp. I then added the Alpine add-on amplifier behind the dash. After all of that work the sound was much better. I was able to hear things in the music again the factory system was lacking. Now...fast forward to my 2016 Lariat...this week my truck is at the Roush dealer getting a Phase 1 Supercharger and exhaust added. As a result of this being a part of the purchase of the truck, my Ford dealer gave me a 2014 f250 King Ranch diesel to tool around in. It also has the vaunted previous gen Sony sound system.
I have to say I am surprised so many people feel the Stock Sony system in the 15/16s are below the standard for the previous generation. I would say the opposite is true and by a wide and fair margin. The stock sony sub is being fed 120 watts via a single dvc 8" sub. When turned up, it can sound a bit boomy, but never anemic like the previous gen did. Also the total mid and high output is similar to the previous gen, but at higher volume levels, the previous gen starts to lose it's composure. The accuracy of the mids and highs start to fade at the 20+ mark on the dial. By comparison, even at 30 on the new truck's dial...fairly solid response.
I will tell you this. No sound system will do everything you want, but the latest design with larger front speakers and the ability to play dynamically without much apparent strain really is something that is downplayed pretty heavily on this forum. I am planning to drop my 2 10s into the new truck, but I thought long and hard before I did. The stock Sony sound system is pretty impressive on it's own. Certainly more than I can say for the truck I am driving right now...
Have you ever heard the premium system in a 07? If so how would it compare. I feel mine to be one of the finest I've ever had. I'm glad to hear your feedback as I'm planning a purchase next year.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 204 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Elmote
I with you, XLT 302A level sound system. All I can say is the system I added to my dad's 69 Buick in 1976 for under $200 puts the XLT's system to shame. It's much better now that I've added a sub and enabled it via forscan. Still needs some additional clean go juice to the stock speakers before I can determine whether they too need to be ditched.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:14 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by srb1194
Have you ever heard the premium system in a 07? If so how would it compare. I feel mine to be one of the finest I've ever had. I'm glad to hear your feedback as I'm planning a purchase next year.
I'm with you. My 06 audiophile system was the best system I've seen factory
Old 09-20-2016, 03:18 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo
I'm with you. My 06 audiophile system was the best system I've seen factory
^^ Yep, my 05 and 08 both had the audiophile system. It pounded and sounded dead clear.

The sony in my '15 is not horrible, but it handles some songs better than others.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by seadragon
I'm very pleased with the stock Sony system in my Lariat.
I'm with you. I love the sound of my radio - esp when streaming.

Quick Reply: WOW! Stock Sony sound: Late 2016 vs. previous generation