Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you like auto stop if....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 08:06 PM

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Would you like auto stop if....

Now that I've been driving and trying, still trying, to get used to or even like auto stop/start on my truck I think I have figured out what makes irritating. If I know that the light has just turned red and I'm going to be sitting there for a couple minutes I actually WANT the truck to take care of business. It's when I approach the red light knowing that it's only seconds away from giving me the green light that I find myself feathering the brake pedal in an attempt to keep the motor running. No, I don't like to play this game every two miles. But is a solution in the works?

Select Audi vehicles in select cities, Vegas in particular, are working with a system that displays on the vehicle information system the time until the light will change. If/when this technology becomes mainstream, and it's likely to happen, then I see potential to incorporate that information into the auto stop system.

If your truck was better about only shutting down in situations of one minute(?) or longer would we still be discussing ways of disabling it on this forum?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

I would not like "Auto Stop/Start" with green eggs and ham.

Luckily, I have a 5.0 and do not have to worry about it. I find it interesting that this feature is so well liked given the fact that MOST engine wear occurs during start cycles.
The following 2 users liked this post by GMC to Ford:
Mike Up (04-23-2017), tomjv (04-23-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm betting the auto start/stop is the prelude to the hybrids coming in the future. We've had a Prius in the household and they have it down. Engine kicks off and on and you don't know it. Also the power steering, AC etc are all driven by high voltage dc so they keep going. I'd imagine with even just a moderate hybrid system in these trucks they could reduce fuel consumption greatly. And with all the fancy trailer detection stuff they have I'm sure they could bypass the hybrid system when towing, or use it only for stop lights etc...
Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

I wouldn't mind it so much if the truck actually stayed off for more than 10-15 seconds. The other day at a red light my tuck shut down and re-started 3 times in about 30 seconds. Needless to say, I shut it off after that.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 1,585 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by D2Abbott
If your truck was better about only shutting down in situations of one minute(?) or longer would we still be discussing ways of disabling it on this forum?
Yes. A feature like this will never please 100% of the customers who have it, no matter how "perfect" it might become.

Besides, it's not customer driven, it's CAFE driven, which puts it at a huge satisfaction disadvantage right out of the gate.

But again, I fail to see the difficulty or annoyance of pushing a button when it's not needed/wanted. No one complains they have to push a button every time they start their truck. Why is this so different? Push button, get result.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 617 Likes on 287 Posts

Is it just "One-button-too-far?" I push a button to unlock my door turn a key to start it. Press a button to turn on the radio, and more buttons to change a channel, press a button to raise the volume. Press a button to lower the volume. I want to add heat to the lower portion of my truck, I press a button. I want defrost, I press a button. Hey if I decide I want air to come out the central vents, I press a button. Undo my seatbelt, I press a button. Make a phone call, I press a button. Accept a phone call? I press a button. Open the glove box? I press a button. Hill decent? Press a button. Four ways? Press a button.
But darn you Ford, how dare you make me press another button. I have almost forgotten that my truck has it, really. Yes, I am a little annoyed when it shuts off as the light turns green, but I noticed my driving style has adapted very well to it. I merely press one more button if I don't want it to shut off.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

So excuse me since I'm new here, but what are the real world MPG gains with this tech?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC to Ford
I find it interesting that this feature is so well liked given the fact that MOST engine wear occurs during start cycles.
Yes, but that is due to lack of oil pressure and cold clearances and lubricants (during a cold start). Ever hear about how you must wait 15+ minutes to get an accurate oil level reading on the current 2.7L? ......The lubrication and bearing systems have no doubt been designed with auto start-stop in mind.

Last edited by fsae150; 04-20-2017 at 10:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by fsae150
which is why you must wait 30 minutes+ to get an accurate oil level reading in the current 2.7L.
The 2017 Gen 2 3.5L also has a wait time.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

i have almost totally ignored the auto start/stop feature. i really don't even notice it anymore. it honestly doesn't bother me