Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you guys Fluidfilm a Texas truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 373 Likes on 248 Posts

Default Would you guys Fluidfilm a Texas truck?

Just curious. Someone mentioned that the icing we had last year resulted in "brine" being sprayed on our highways. I'd like to basically never have any rust on my truck frame, ever, and I plan to keep it 10 or more years. Would you recommend Fluidfilm, self/home application? I see I can buy a 3 pack of cans for about 30 bucks. Is this good stuff? Just hose down everything underneath? Axle, suspension, too?\

Side note, I've never seen much, if any, rust on any truck I've owned in the past, this site just has me paranoid.

Thanks,

z
Old 05-21-2018, 10:23 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I'm the one who mentioned it... personally, no, I don't worry about it since it's a rarity. I do stick the truck on ramps and blast the underside with a pressure washer after they do it - and after the first good rain washes it all off.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroTX
Side note, I've never seen much, if any, rust on any truck I've owned in the past, this site just has me paranoid.
The internets is full of all sorts of wacky people...

I have owned vehicles from 1976 until now, driving in Michigan, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, with heavily salted roads. I've never coated the underside of my vehicles with anything, except in the old days when they "undercoated" cars as a standard step. I used to replace exhaust systems like they were disposable because they made them to rust. When I bought my F-150 in 2013, I traded my 1998 Ford Explorer. It was fine underneath. Last year I sold my father in-law's 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis. It was also fine.

If you never want rust on the underside, then don't buy any vehicle; many, included the F-150, come with parts coated with rust from the factory. It's fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
Blueshound (10-16-2021), white_dc (05-23-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 10:35 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

YES!
I just mentioned it in another thread. That was the first thing I did when I got home.
I sprayed every single thing under that truck and 4 months and one small snow storm it looks as if it just rolled off the line.

Aesthetically, I enjoy looking and seeing my rear differential and the axles looking factory fresh black.

I used to used old motor oil, but it dripped for 3 days. Fluid Film doesn't drip and contrary it doesn't make everything stick to it after a few days.

It took almost 3 cans to do my SuperCab with a 6'.6" bed.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:40 AM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

no. they put brine on the roads here in nc, just spray the underside of the truck off really well after the storm is over. its such a rarity for us (and even rarer for you), im not worried about it. none of my other vehicles had rust.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Personally I would buy one can of something (Fluid film, white lithium grease, Chainwax, etc) and hit the critical areas.but I have always lived in Michigan. Even salt air near the Gulf can get corrosion started. I would do rocker panels, inner door cracks/seams and crevasses wherever metal meets metal. On the frame areas, hit all the nuts and bolt threads. A little prevention goes a long way. You never know, you could suddenly get a job offer somewhere, or maybe you will sell it to a relative who is moving to the salt zone. YMMV
Old 05-22-2018, 08:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Living in Ontario where the roads are coated with salt during the winter I am a believer in Krown oil spray. I'm not sure if you get it in all parts of the US. I think it is a fish oil based product (it doesn't smell fishy) I had a early nineties Honda Accord for almost 20 years (on a calm day you could heat these things rust!) Krowned pretty well every year with no rust on it at all.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:35 AM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

Gee whiz. No need for oil undercoating in Tejas.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Texas trucks are known to be some of the most rust free trucks in the country. There are several dealers in my area(Virginia) that travel to Texas once a month to buy trucks at the auto auction specifically for that reason. I'm not sure I would fluid film, but I would do everything in my power to avoid driving the truck with the brine on the road. The stuff they use in Virginia is unbelievably bad. Its realistically unavoidable for me, but I was amazed at the amount of rust and corrosion that developed on my undercarraige from just one exposure that was thoroughly rinsed off the next day with a power washer and an attachment designed for cleaning undercarriages.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

For Texas, no.

Quick Reply: Would you guys Fluidfilm a Texas truck?